Depth Help - if you could do it again - what would you choose?

Ok, we are not in the same category as you, as we have 3 boys, but wanted to give a perspective on depth. We made ours 9 feet (wanted 10) with a diving board. The kids only venture to the shallow end when they want to get away from the person chasing them, otherwise they spend nearly 100% in the deep end. I've never even come close to hitting the bottom with a cannon ball, and even have a hard time hitting the bottom doing a feet first pencil dive. We spoke to many people before building ours, and nearly everybody with kids always wished they made the pool bigger and deeper. We also have benches on both sides of the deep end, so the kids can hang out without treading water.

Ok, we are not in the same category as you, as we have 3 boys, but wanted to give a perspective on depth. We made ours 9 feet (wanted 10) with a diving board. The kids only venture to the shallow end when they want to get away from the person chasing them, otherwise they spend nearly 100% in the deep end. I've never even come close to hitting the bottom with a cannon ball, and even have a hard time hitting the bottom doing a feet first pencil dive. We spoke to many people before building ours, and nearly everybody with kids always wished they made the pool bigger and deeper. We also have benches on both sides of the deep end, so the kids can hang out without treading water.

Big +1 on benches in the pool. We have three good sized benches spread around the pool and more would be better. Benches are great for adults to sit on and are a great homebase for kids to swim back to to rest, store up more stuff to throw at each other or jump off to make diving catches. All the 10 and under kids who come to our pool migrate to the benches and stake their claim for the day.

We only have one bench at the deeper end and then a huge tanning shelf at the other. But the pool is pretty small - 33' long (with tanning shelf directly at one end) and then 17'X13'X15' - I wonder if I need to ask for more benches. One entire side of the pool is weeping wall then that runs to our spa - which has a rock waterfall running into it - and then spillsover onto the tanning deck. The bench is on the other side of the pool - near an area with added decking for a conversation area - I was thinking I would want to sit and "look" at the wall and waterfall. How many benches do you have?

- - - Updated - - -

I have heard horror-stories about people suing after diving into a pool and getting hurt. I think unless you can have a 10' pool then you are going to have to worry about that. Seriously you may still have to worry. My hope is that since it is going to be more shallow - adults won't be quite so stupid. Kids are kids - but I have had an AG pool for a few years - and I start off by asking the parents to go inside while I "talk" to the kids before they can swim. So far my scare tactics have worked . . . evil laugh inserted here.

Post an image of your design and we can make suggestions on good places for benches based on experience. We have a prime spot for a bench that we missed in our design.

My only comment about friends hurting themselves and suing is pick better friends or at least be more selective on who you invite to your house to swim.

We have a sports pool 3.5 on each side 6 in the middle. 2 small kids 5 and 8 years old and no issues. Everyone is able to hang out on either side of the pool. With deep pools everyone hangs out on only one side. Its totally personal preference. Congrats on your build!!

We have 2 benches and one LARGE Baja step

20150328_173953-M.jpg

20150329_161249-M.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How big is your shelf? Mine is 12x7. I'm wondering if it's big enough. I want to be able to have to lounge chairs on it at once.

I have an AG pool that is 4 feet deep. I never found I wanted it shallower. When the DD was little, she was in our hands or a swim vest. When she could swim, it was not an issue anymore. After having a flat floor pool, I do wish we had more depth at times but overall it's not a huge issue.

I think I would want a sports style pool with a 4-5-4 or 4-6-4 configuration, benches at both ends so the kids can have one end, the adults the other and have the ability to play in the deeper middle.

View attachment 34989

The existing bench is 5' with a step out and is in the left hand corner of the pool (by the furthest tan chair)

Is that a pic? I can't see it or open it.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if I sho reduce the size & get more "water" space. So many decisions!

It is definitely a never ending brain exercise. If the 12' side is in the pool length then you might want to drop it back to 9 or 10. If it is the 7' that is in the pool length then I would probably leave it as is.

Ours is 8 ft deep and we spend alot of time in the deep end ( 1 child ) but we rented a house in Florida this week that was 3 ft to 5 ft and while the 3 ft was way to shallow it was pretty nice to be able to stand in the deep end and talk or play catch. We would not be able to do that at our pool at home. We also have a bench in the ddep end instead of a ladder and we love that too. Great place to just sit and relax.

Ours is 8 ft deep and we spend alot of time in the deep end ( 1 child ) but we rented a house in Florida this week that was 3 ft to 5 ft and while the 3 ft was way to shallow it was pretty nice to be able to stand in the deep end and talk or play catch. We would not be able to do that at our pool at home. We also have a bench in the ddep end instead of a ladder and we love that too. Great place to just sit and relax.

Based on that experience. Would you reconsider the 8' depth if you were to do it again?

Based on that experience. Would you reconsider the 8' depth if you were to do it again?

At this point no, as everybody likes to jump in including my daughter and her friends but I def enjoyed the 5 ft deep pool in Florida. I guess it all comes down to what you will be ultimately doing most of the time in the pool. If just hanging out and lounging then no need to go with a deep end over your head IMO. Is your beach entry going to be covered in vinyl?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.