Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depth Help - if you could do it again - what would you choose?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Depth Help - if you could do it again - what would you choose?

I've been lurking for YEARS and finally getting to build my dream pool! I am SO excited - signed our contract today!

The depth of the pool is something we can change up to the point of dig- but we are really struggling with what we should do. We originally wanted 3 1/2 - 7 honestly, because that is what all the pools we have been in were. When the different builders started asking us about the intended "use" for the pool was and why we want so much of the pool where people can't touch - it made perfect sense to go much shallower.

We do not have kids - we are not divers and will have no slide. We DO want to be able to jump in - like cannonball. Probably not us - but I can imagine parties . . . This will be a social pool for us - a place to relax, drink, and listen to the waterfalls. So, here is what we are considering:
    • Sports Pool 3 1/2 - 5 1/2 - 4 1/2
    • Traditional 3 1/2 - 5 1/2
    • Traditional 3 1/2 - 6

I can't really think of any reason to be deeper than 6.

Our pool is going to be freeform - 33' X 17 (spa, waterfall, weeping wall and tanning ledge)

What do you have? Do you love it? Would you make changes to the depth if you could do it again?

Thank you for your help!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Depth Help - if you could do it again - what would you choose?

6-7' are weird depths. Too deep to stand in, but too shallow to really jump/dive into.

If you cannonball into a 5-6' pool, you will probably hit your backside on the bottom.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Really? One of my friends built a pool last year and she said that everyone cannonballs where the slide is (which is 5' 6") - she said even the adults don't hit. How deep would you think it would need to be to Cannonball? It sounds so funny that I am considering cannon-balling in the design of my pool. I really do appreciate the help! TY
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine goes to 6' and yeah, you can hit your butt on the bottom. I'm a trauma nurse so I always worry about spinal injuries from shallow pools and folks diving in. I also love to dive (even if just from the side) and miss it enormously. I wish mine was deeper, at least 7'..
    As to socializing, one can float on rafts and rings in the deep end and let their legs hang and enjoy it just as much as just standing in the shallow end.

- - - Updated - - -
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

I would NEVER allow diving in my pool - no matter how deep. I remember hitting my head and face as a child when I was learning to dive. I cringe when I watch divers! I may have to say no cannon-balling too . I sure don't want that much wasted space. (me and the hubby wouldn't use a deep end) he has MS -so we are looking at wanting to be able to walk the bottom as much as possible. Guess I need to just figure if I want deeper in the middle or end . . .
    ~Wendy

6. Back To Top    #6

Ours is 3-1/2-5-4. The only thing we would change is 3-1/2 to 4. 3-1/2 is too shallow. So, 4-5-4 would be our perfect pool. We do cannonballs into the 5 like crazy people. We do hit the bottom some but not a lot and not hard. It is the perfect hang out and drink pool because there is tons of room for everyone to spread out and stand up. And it is the perfect play with the kids pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I wish my pool had more shallow area. Probably 1/3 is 8', 1/3 is 3', and the rest is very steep. But if I just plug my nose and jump in, my feet will touch the bottom on the deep end, even with knees bent.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I will throw another option out at you just as food for thought.

why not go 4- 5 1/2 -4 ?

Since you have no small kids there is really no reason why you should limit the shallow to 3 1/2 (although thats fine).
    If you are equal depth on each end, and deeper middle you could have a true sports pool for volleyball with a net across the middle for your parties.
    The slightly deeper shallow ends would also mean the slope from shallow to deep middle will be much less of a slope, which is great for good footing.

As a FYI, I cannonball in my 6 ft deep end and have no problem with the bottom. I "shallow dive" from the deck too, but with a name like, mine, what would you expect?

EDIT: oops, I see pooldv already offered up a equal end sport pool! my bad!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Right! He ain't Cannonballin Dave ya know. I also shallow dive into about 4-1/2 feet, no issues there either.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

This is great! I love how helpful everyone is on here!
    ~Wendy

11. Back To Top    #11

Well Sunbaby,
    that's why we are here! Lots of forums do more yapping than anything. But we really and truly are here to help, and try to do our best at doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbaby View Post
    This is great! I love how helpful everyone is on here!
    - - - Updated - - -

LOL. Man, you're a nut! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Right! He ain't Cannonballin Dave ya know.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

12. Back To Top    #12

We have an oval free form and did 4-5.25-4. Volleyball sleeves in middle. Love it.
    15' x 35' IG Gunite Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish. 4' x 5'3" x 4' 88ft perimeter 428 sqft. (15,000 gallons)OK flagstone coping stamped concrete deck 900 sqft. 3 scuppers on Flagstone wall
    Jandy 2.0hp "E" variable speed pump, Jandy CL460 Filter, Jandy iAqualink control, Nature2 Fusion, Polaris 280 w/Booster pump. 2 Jandy LV LED lights

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm going 8.5' deep and I wish I had room to go deeper. My pool growing up was 10' deep and my best memories were spending summers doing deep dives/tricks off the board and swimming as deep as possible. Gonna try to recreate that magic.

14. Back To Top    #14

We have a sport pool and love it. We don't miss the diving we did as kids.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

15. Back To Top    #15

As soon as I have an updated drawing in my greedy little hands - I will share it with you - my pool is 33' long - but the tanning shelf is at one end - so that takes up some space - I think 6' So in theory, at least - the true usable pool will be 27' long. If that is the case - will my grade be too steep to do 3.6-5.6-4.6?
    ~Wendy

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Mine is 7', I wanted 8', but the PB was going to add a significant amount $ due to breaking their backhoe with all the Caliche they had to dig through. next step was a jackhammer which is high $$ during an oil boom apparently.

I have hit the bottom of my 7' pool with a cannonball.

in retrospect I'd have paid the money for the additional foot (or 3). Father in laws pool was 12ft deep...I kinda miss that.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

17. Back To Top    #17

Mine is 8', deep enough, but if I jump from the raised bond beam I'm close to touching the bottom. If I was rebuilding I would make the pool 23' x 46' long and go to 10' deep, I was trying to save $ then, but now i'd prefer to be a little bigger. I don't put any restrictions on pool activities, I just tell people if they hit the bottom they wont be invited back.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

18. Back To Top    #18

I like that rule bobby!
    ~Wendy

19. Back To Top    #19

Great thread. My biggest fear is adults jumping/diving in. When designing a pool I was speaking with a co-worker and she went 5.5 feet thinking no one would be jumping in because they wouldn't allow it. A guest jumped or dove (or something) in, broke his ankle or wrist, I forget which and presented her with his medical bills. This was after she had told him no jumping or diving in the pool. I put mine to 7' for this reason.

20. Back To Top    #20

I believe the industry standard recommends the shallow end be no deeper than 3'6". I don't know the reasoning, but unless that is just a "pulled out of you know where" number, I'd at least investigate the reasoning before violating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    I will throw another option out at you just as food for thought.

why not go 4- 5 1/2 -4 ?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast