High Calcium Hardness - Stains - Well Water

Mar 31, 2015
Windermere/FL
Looking for a second opinion.

In ground pool - diamond bright finish is 7 years old.

Home water is well - calcium harness is at 200+

total Chlorine 6 (just shocked - was at normal levels last week)
free chlorine 6 (just shocked - was at normal levels last week)
pH 7.6
Total Alk 100
Calcium Hardness 725
Stab 90
TDS 3000

Jack's magic stain test shows copper stains. Currently throughout pool. Well water leaves similar rust color stains from sprinklers.

Pool store (been seeing for a while) recommends:

-Drain
-Acid Wash
- Refill
- Stain treatment

First 3 steps required because stain treatment will not be effective at current calcium hardness levels.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

My first suggestion is to get a test kit and test your own water. Often times the pool stores water testing is less than accurate. Not to mention being able to test your own water is seriously helpful.

What do you Chlorinate with?

check out these:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/137-metals-in-the-water-and-metal-stains

What's the Calcium Hardness of your well water compared to the current hardness of your pool? (hoping you are using one of the recommended test kits).

Rust colored stains sounds like iron. Copper is generally black or green. Pretty obvious you have iron in your well water.

Do you have any option for another water source? Even if you clean it up, you will have to routinely add sequestrant to the pool to keep it from staining again, and the metal concentration will keep climbing as water evaporates and is replaced, just as your calcium did.

Do you have pictures of the staining?

Sorry - copper was my conclusion, not the pool stores. The Jack's Magic kit resulted in the O2 Shock leaving a yellow/ornage stain on pool, which was identified in the instructions as copper.

No other source for water besides the afternoon rains we get every summer.

Picture attached, I think.

20150331_183039_resized.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.