Vinyl care and protection

eskewj

Jan 10, 2014
Harrisburg, NC
Hello! My in-ground vinyl liner is about 11 yrs old and it is time for a replacement. I have several tears that I’ve patched above the water line in two corners where the sun bakes it all day. One of the guys who I got a quote from for a new liner was the original pool builder and I asked if there was any way to “shore up” these weak areas since I know they’ll be the first to wear out. He suggested using Armor All as this is what he uses on his truck dashboard to keep the sun from drying it out. I was wondering if anyone had tried this or if it is recommended to use… Obviously it’s not exactly organic so even though I’d be using it above the water line, I have hesitations about getting it in my eyes. Then again, I wouldn't want straight bleach to the eyes either but I have no problem putting it in my pool. Any thoughts on this?

I don't think it will hold up to the constant wetting. As for what it does in the water...probably not much, but you may wind up with a sheen.

Not knowing more about whats in that stuff, I'm not sure I'd want to swim in it, even though it's concentration would be tiny. If it floats on the water which I assume it will, you may be getting a nice coating on yourself when you exit. Maybe it would keep you shiny though...:scratch: :mrgreen:

I think not. :hammer:

I wouldn't recommend armor-all for a pool liner, or even your car interior for that matter. It contains silicone and solvent, which can dry out vinyl/plastic/rubber/leather. Sure it will look good if you keep applying it, but it slowly dries out and hardens plastic over time.

I wouldn't recommend armor-all for a pool liner, or even your car interior for that matter. It contains silicone and solvent, which can dry out vinyl/plastic/rubber/leather. Sure it will look good if you keep applying it, but it slowly dries out and hardens plastic over time.

That's the funny part about armor all. You have to keep applying it for it to do any good, otherwise it's worse than if you never used it. A buddy of mine years ago was big into car detailing and stuff. He said the best thing to use was pledge since it had all the oils that were for wood, and no solvents that would dry out the vinyl. Always worked great in a vehicle. Pool liner is probably a whole other issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.