Filter won't catch dirt

I'm having a recurring problem.

My yard is dirt and gravel, and so my pool is always dirty from it blowing into the pool when the cover is off. The problem I'm having is that when I try to vacuum it just blows right back into the pool through the return.

I have a relatively new Hayward cartridge filter (about 1yo). I just cleaned all the cartridges so that it was ready to go for the season so I don't see dirty grids as being the reason for the dirty return.

What other causes could be creating this problem? I don't want to vacuum to waste because with the dirt yard, i would constantly be VTW and spend a fortune in water, not to mention if someone saw me constantly doing it I'd probably get a nasty letter from the drought folks.

Any tips greatly appreciated :)

Jen

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

There is no reason that the dirt and dust should not be captured by the filter when you vacuum unless there is something wrong in the filter. I would suggest opening it up and inspecting the cartridges for any damage and make sure they are seated correctly.

EDIT: Looks like you asked the same question back in October ... did you heed any of my advice from 5 months ago?

If the debris is coming out of the pool returns then there is a failure somewhere. Either it isn't put back together correctly, a problem with the filter housing or one of the filters. My Pentair cartridge filter will almost completely clog up and pass virtually no water and has never released debris back to the pool. I "might" have seen that happen in my one algae bloom ever. But there were no witnesses so it is just a rumor. :)

Hi, cartridge filters when clean filter at approximately 20 microns. As they get dirty the filter down to a smaller micron. My concern is dead algae and very light dust that is 20 microns or smaller. Dead algae is under 20 microns. Always let a sand and cartridge filter get dirty as it becomes a better filter and will filter down to 10 microns using the dirt on the element to help filter. I recommend using a filter additive that will bring the smaller particles together and allow a clean filter to filter them out. I see this dust problem all the time in the desert (Palm Springs. ). Always wait until the pressure on the filter rises 8-10 lbs. before cleaning. Some people add a little DE to the filter to help but I am not a fan of this but many say it works.

Hi Jbizzle,
I did follow your recommendations from last time, yes. Definitely helped with my algae-bloom-tried-to-have-my-own-swamp problem.

My levels are fine ATM, no algae issues, just this dang dirt. What kind of additive can I add to a cartridge filter? I've read not to use D.E. (which is a shame, I have a ton of it left over from our old filter).

There is nothing significant wrong with DE. You can use cellulose fiber products instead if you want. The price is about the same. Cellulose works better for some people, worse for others. Cellulose is also recycled and thus considered a little more eco.

Cellulose is biodegradable. I backwash it onto the lawn and there's no ugly white crust like DE leaves. The lawn seems to like it, too.

I don't think adding any coagulants will help you, since the dust is an ongoing problem. I suspect it will just make your filter a gummy mess.

OK so I went out and bought a skimmer sock to use on my leaf canister when I vaccumed. Huge difference. Didn't catch all of it, but almost most. Might try two next time.

And in the meantime I will pray for a rich relative to leave me money or play the lottery so I can afford to get rid of the dirt in my yard lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.