Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PB Opening Pool - Need Suggestions/Advice!

1. Back To Top    #1

PB Opening Pool - Need Suggestions/Advice!

Our pool was just finished, ~12,500 gallons. We have a Pentair IC40 salt cell and 125K Heat Pump. Our builder has already (on day5) put salt along with all of the "chemicals" into the pool.

After reading the get started forum on this site, it makes me concerned because it appears they should have waited 30 days. My pool school isn't for a few days and when I asked a few of these questions to the builder, I was told they start all of their pools in this fashion.

I'm confused.... help? How should I proceed? P.S. This is a large pool company.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PB Opening Pool - Need Suggestions/Advice!

Welcome Mitch!

Not sure how to advise you since they did it already, but salt addition delay is standard 28 days. I assume this is a plaster/quartz/pebblle type finish? If so, that is ususally what is done for those finishes.

I would want to know why and ask them since everyone else seems to make this important recommendation. I would get some communication by a traceable source like email incase there are problems later.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

What kind of pool do you have?

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

If it is plaster, then yes, they screwed up and are not following conventional plaster recommendations.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Added the details in the signature. Finish is Aqua Pearl finish. And btw, the salt cell is currently turned on.

I asked why and was told that the salt cell manual is wrong (I guess the manual says to not turn it on right away, I'm not sure) and they have been adding salt to pools the first week for 5+ years. They start over 500 pools a year and they always put salt in. What are the ramifications of this?
    10,965 Gallons IG Aqua Pearl Finish pool, Pentair C&C RP 200 Sq Ft, Pentair Intelliflow VS Pump
    Opened 03/27/2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Spa, Double Flagstone Spillover, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair 125K Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I think it can impact the curing of the plaster ... and thus shorten its life. The pool company likely does not care about this since your warranty would run out before then anyway and no way to prove it was because salt was added too early.

Seems that pool builders are only good at that, building, and have no clue about maintenance or chemistry.

I think OnBalance has some posts that discuss the chemistry of it somewhere.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Any thoughts or ideas on how to proceed? Ask the PB for warranty in writing regardless of cure time of finish?
    10,965 Gallons IG Aqua Pearl Finish pool, Pentair C&C RP 200 Sq Ft, Pentair Intelliflow VS Pump
    Opened 03/27/2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Spa, Double Flagstone Spillover, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair 125K Heat Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

My PB has been building pools for almost 30 years and he is my neighbor and we still like each other. He put salt in my pool within a week and turned on the IC40. I didn't know enough to question or care since it was pre-TFP. So far so good, but it has only been about 3 years. Sooo ...

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. I have no idea where Oviedo is.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    p.s. I have no idea where Oviedo is.
    Me either, which is why I made the request in my first reply along with the signature ...
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I just googled it for fun. Appears to be in Spain!

Oviedo
    City in Spain
    Oviedo is the capital city of the Principality of Asturias in northern Spain
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

There's no real point in trying to convince them they are wrong after the fact. I would just make sure your warranty is in writing, and hope for the best. you might search for posts by "onbalance" on this forum. He's an expert in the field.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

11. Back To Top    #11

Unless draining and refilling with fresh water will eliminate the potential problems associated with adding salt too early. I have no idea about that though.
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm not sure about the salt and plaster chemistry but i do remember reading something about uncured plaster and salt crystals. It said that the salt crystals can rough up the still soft plaster a give it a sand blasted type of finish. Sounds somewhat logical but i think the salt dissolves too quickly and their is nothing rubbing the salt into the plaster unless there is a chemical reaction causing this.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

Oviedo, Florida. Thought I updated that. Thanks for the feedback.

14. Back To Top    #14

My builder told me he had no problem with me adding salt quickly after he set everything up. He cited some studies he read about the pros and cons and how he read it had minimal impact these days. I CHOSE to wait, actually about 60days because I just didn't have the time after 30 days to get around to it. Point is, he knew about the general 30 day rule but seemed to think there were studies out there that made it a minimally important issue. Definitely didn't take a better safe than sorry attitude.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

15. Back To Top    #15

So what does the plaster finish manufacturer have to say about start up chemistry in their installation instructions?

Is this your product? http://www.magicmarciteinc.com/PDF%2..._datasheet.pdf
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

16. Back To Top    #16

I asked for some help with a definitive answer on this because I would really like to know what it is.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

17. Back To Top    #17

It is a fact that it is best to wait four weeks before adding salt to new plaster pools. The entire industry is aware of this issue now, and the PB should WAKE-UP about this and take an interest in doing what's right for the pools he builds.
    However, it does not necessarily cause a major problem if added sooner than that. This issue is somewhere between being a "minor" or "insignificant" issue (or problem) and a "moderate" issue.
    Whether or not any visible discoloration results is also dependent on the quality of the plaster finish and the subsequent water chemistry.

Since the salt has already been added, proceed with getting the pool water balanced and brush the pool often.
    Post your current water readings and let us know how things are going. Document everything and take some pictures now to compare with pictures later.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by jtaves85mcss View Post
    So what does the plaster finish manufacturer have to say about start up chemistry in their installation instructions?

Is this your product? http://www.magicmarciteinc.com/PDF%2..._datasheet.pdf
    Yes, this is my product.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by onBalance View Post
    It is a fact that it is best to wait four weeks before adding salt to new plaster pools. The entire industry is aware of this issue now, and the PB should WAKE-UP about this and take an interest in doing what's right for the pools he builds.
    However, it does not necessarily cause a major problem if added sooner than that. This issue is somewhere between being a "minor" or "insignificant" issue (or problem) and a "moderate" issue.
    Whether or not any visible discoloration results is also dependent on the quality of the plaster finish and the subsequent water chemistry.

Since the salt has already been added, proceed with getting the pool water balanced and brush the pool often.
    Post your current water readings and let us know how things are going. Document everything and take some pictures now to compare with pictures later.
    I very much appreciate your response. I will start taking pictures today and get a water reading from Pinch a Penny. I'm planning to buy a TF100 kit in the coming weeks.

It looks like the recommended levels that the finish manufacturer recommends for the first 30 days and subsequently after are different (see link below) than what the folks on the TF Pool forums suggest.

What do you advice as the best way to proceed? I want a troublefree pool!!

http://www.magicmarciteinc.com/PDF%2..._datasheet.pdf

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by aeromitch37 View Post
    I very much appreciate your response. I will start taking pictures today and get a water reading from Pinch a Penny. I'm planning to buy a TF100 kit in the coming weeks.

It looks like the recommended levels that the finish manufacturer recommends for the first 30 days and subsequently after are different (see link below) than what the folks on the TF Pool forums suggest.

What do you advice as the best way to proceed? I want a troublefree pool!!

http://www.magicmarciteinc.com/PDF%2..._datasheet.pdf
    At the great risk of being pushy, the best thing to do is start getting it balanced. You need the kit for that straight away. Don't wait until the coming weeks, go ahead and order. It's a tiny amount to spend considering the value it will provide in protecting the investment you just made. The is a direct link in my signature to click on.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast