Howdy !

vsat88

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2013
Phenix City, AL.
Just wanted to check with the experts that have helped so much in the past ! This is the deal.. SLAM ed the pool all last week. FC is at 23ppm (and has stayed at 18ppm to 32ppm the whole time) CC 1.0 If that. New sand in the filter on March 29th (I had no Idea how long it had been in there or the amount put in by the "pool Co.") PH at 7.6 TA at 110 CYA between 50/60 (the last figures were taken before the SLAM) . All looks well..Grey everywhere (and has been for days). VAC to waste and brushing sides..Now for the problem..March 17th. is when I began and the water just does not want to clear up ?? Lets see what you all think..Polyquat ?? Good to be back !:p

are you running your filter (multiport valve set to filter)? how often? What was starting PSI and what is PSI now? If you don't know a baseline from when the sand was changed, you need to establish a baseline so you know when to backwash. 25% climb=backwash.

The filter is what catches the dead stuff and clears up the water....sand filters seem to take a little longer to do that IMO.

I don't think polyquat is going to be necessary.

Pic of the pool?

What's the OCLT say? Remember the 3 things that tell you you're done SLAMing.
- clear water
- pass OCLT
- CC .5 or less.

get the FC above 24...if you're unsure of the CYA (50 vs 60). assume it's 60. run at the higher target FC. anything less is going to drag it out.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

For future reference you don't need to replace the sand....just leave it be. Do a deep clean if you're feeling wild.

are you running your filter (multiport valve set to filter)? how often? What was starting PSI and what is PSI now? If you don't know a baseline from when the sand was changed, you need to establish a baseline so you know when to backwash. 25% climb=backwash.

The filter is what catches the dead stuff and clears up the water....sand filters seem to take a little longer to do that IMO.

I don't think polyquat is going to be necessary.

Pic of the pool?

What's the OCLT say? Remember the 3 things that tell you you're done SLAMing.
- clear water
- pass OCLT
- CC .5 or less.

get the FC above 24...if you're unsure of the CYA (50 vs 60). assume it's 60. run at the higher target FC. anything less is going to drag it out.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

For future reference you don't need to replace the sand....just leave it be. Do a deep clean if you're feeling wild.

yes I am running the filter 24/7 the whole time. PSI is 14 at start. Before sand change it was 11 PSI. OCLT is basically unchanged over nite, perhaps .05 loss. CC is .5 1.0 really in between the two. and yes, I have been maintaining 20 or above..sometimes up to 32 FC. Once I did let it get lower to around 18 due to not having regents till the next day..Will do as you say, Thanks !!

- - - Updated - - -

Your pH reading is going to be falsely high because of the high FC level. That is why the directions have you set it and then ignore it.

Sand filters take a long, long time to do the final clearing. You might want to try adding DE as mentioned in the SLAM instructions.

yes, I did check and stabilize the pH first as well as the tA. Then I started the SLAM process. I agree the sand filter does seem to be taking a long time, that's why I wanted to check with you guys..That keeps me in line ! I do have DE and I will do as you say ! Thanks !

Update current readings.

AM 4/1/2015

Backwash AM to make sure of pressure at minimum reading.
Pressure reading initial : 13.5/14.0 in between..
FC=30.05 (was 31.5 last night after adding a bit of chlorine and waiting 45 min.) exact reading.
CC=0.5 exact reading.
Above readings were taken twice to make sure.
I will only backwash at 16/17 PSI.
I will add DE as per instructions.
I will keep FC level above 25.
Brushing every day and Vac. every night.
Still unable to up images..:( ...No big deal, I will figure it out..Thanks all !

What color was the pool when you started? Did you have leaves n debris in the pool? A little more info on your starting point would be nice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

- - - Updated - - -

What color was the pool when you started? Did you have leaves n debris in the pool? A little more info on your starting point would be nice.
The pool was dark green. Yes plenty of leaves n debris..

This image is on Monday, March 16th. 2015. And yes I have cleaned as much of the debris out as I can find and used the Vac. as well. Thanks !

You've come a long way. Keep at it!!!

Keep an eye on those stairs. You should start seeing more and more stairs.

Folks I still cannot see past the bumpers on the stairs. I do not know what to do at this point. I have kept this SLAM going for weeks now. I have checked and re checked (as well as taking as taking a sample to the pool store) the CYA..The pump is still running 24/7. I have used DE. I have been brushing and using the vac...Any Ideas as to why this may be. It is beginning to get frustrating, well if honest I would have to say it is more than just frustrating.

So what are your test results? Any CC? Have you passed the OCLT?

Have you tried to Deep Clean your Sand Filter?
I read the link and it looks as if not only did I do a deep clean I really went too far and replaced all the sand. I looked at the spec sheet for my filter and filled with 250 lbs. sand as stated for a Hayward pro series model S220T sand filter..I have let the SLAM levels drop and I am going to continue with the vac to waste as well as brushing..Anything else I can do ?
At 12:42 PM 4/9/15 readings.
FC=7
CC=0
PH=7.4
TA=100
CYA=55

Are you sure you got all the leaves n debris out? That will slow you down! SLAM it! Check it... Keep it at SLAM level til you're done.

The pool didn't turn that green in weeks. Its going to take time.

If progress stops for a significant period of time, then you should use last-resort methods (i.e. a good clarifier or flocculant) since you may be down to chemicals or particles in the pool that are not filterable nor oxidizable by chlorine. It's not that common, but it does occasionally happen. As Casey noted, if you still have debris on the bottom, then that may continue to cloud/color the water so check that first.

When you used DE did you notice a pressure rise in the hours after using it (not just the small initial rise when adding it)? If not, then either you're not properly getting the water circulated or what is in the water is not filterable even by DE (which is unusual, though not unheard of).

I have another crazy thing to report..Crazy..I checked my CYA when I first started working on the pool three weeks ago give or take. The CYA reading was done before I started. I also went to the pool store and they checked the CYA. My reading was around 50/60. They checked it at the pool store and said it was around 55, 60. I SLAMed using 50 as a CYA for at least a week. It was recommended that I use the higher CYA level of 60 to calculate my FC. level and SLAM at 24 PPM FC. so I did so for the next week and a half give or take. Now I take a sample to the pool store yesterday and they check it twice and say I have no CYA. I re check at home and I come up with no CYA ..Perhaps I just don't not get it. How can that much CYA go missing ? I only added water when it got low due to backwash. This AM readings:
FC=9
CC= Still 0
TA= Still 7.4/7.5
TA=Still 100/110

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.