Newby gas heater/heat pump question quester

Mar 31, 2015
Rochester
I live in Rochester, NY and installed an above ground 24' round pool with 54" sides last year. I believe it's around 15,000 gallons. I live in a partial shaded area where the pool stops getting sun at around 2 pm and use a solar cover consistently. The warmest I got my pool last year was around 73 degrees (fairly cool summer) and I need it around 80 to be happy. We go swimming in the pool often as I have a 5 year old and his friends that are very active.

I have the opportunity to purchase a used AquaCal HeatWave H100 Heat Pump 90,000 BTU for a fraction of the cost of a new one and was wondering if this would be a good purchase based on location and pool size?

I would appreciate it if someone from the Western, NY area could comment on their experiences and what you think I should do. Do i make a purchase on a used heat pump that the guy guaranteed me it would work or purchase a brand new gas heater (need to install gas line that is around 40 yds from meter)?

Any of your comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Scaboney

Welcome to TFP!

A heat pump should be fine for maintaining temperature 24/7 in mid-summer, but won't help much in the spring and fall that far north. Heat pumps work best when the air temperature is fairly warm. A gas heater is better for spring and fall, and for heating for that one nice day.

i have a heat pump in erie pa.It helps me extend the season a month on either side of the season(may thru sept).But i use a solar blanket,without it the 87 degree temp during the "fringe" months probably would not be possible.

I have an Aquacal 136K BTU Heat Pump/Chiller. I use it on my 14K Gallon Pool. If you install it in a sunny location you will likely have good results. A cover will be a must to maintain temps overnight. You may even find it useful to overshoot your target temperature during the day, so it will hold a higher temp overnight.

Heat Pumps are great for a slow and steady process.

Here's some more info. If you have natural gas available and you are looking to only use the heater for a few months, spring/fall, then you should consider gas especially since your yard is mostly shaded. A heat pump relies on the outside temps to be warm in order to efficiently work. So if you have cool temps in the summer, not much heat will output. Thus you won't be swimming much and probably not happy. Also keep in mind that with gas if you wanted to just heat the pool here and there for say a weekend, you could turn it on 24 hours ahead of time with the pump running obviously, and you can then have it for the weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.