Heat Pump Recommendations...Aqua Comfort? Hayward?

May 24, 2014
Richmond VA
We have a 40000 gallon pool and want to add a heat pump to it this season. Our pool guy sells a Aqua Comfort XL heat pump for like $3k and ive seen a Hayward HeatPro 140,000 BTU, 230V, Titanium, Digital, Pool and Spa Heat Pump for around the same price. any recommendations? I cant seem to find many reviews on Aqua Comfort and don't find any online stores that sell it. I just don't want to buy something from the dealer and it be ****. I live in Richmond VA, so typically without heater our pool is open End May to Sept.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time

I believe that Aqua Comfort only sells through dealers and does not sell online.

I haven't really started heat pump shopping yet. But, it is in the back of my mind. My first priority in heat pump shopping will be compatibility with any pool automation and VS pumps that I have so that everything is compatible and works together. So, for me that would cause me to look at Pentair heat pumps first because I have Pentair stuff already. Next priority would be what your pool guy likes if you are not a DIYer.

I would tend to think that AC, Hayward and Pentair all make a good products. I'm sure some AC people will come along to discuss further.

I am also looking into heat pumps but haven't decided whether to get one. AQUACOMFORT only sells through dealers. Two issues I had with them is that they do not submit their heat pumps to AHRI for testing (a neutral body that confirms their assertions of BTUs). The other issue is that they do not have a maintain heat function (like others do) that tests the water periodically and turns the heat pump and pool pump on if the water is below the threshold temperature. The heat pump cannot run without the pool pump being on, so if the pool pump is not scheduled to be on the heat pump won't fire up even if the water temperature is below where you want it. In other words, the heat pump will only go on when the pool pump is scheduled to be on. However, automation features like AQUALINK have a "maintain heat" function that can test the water every hour and can turn the pool pump on whenever the temperature is below your threshold. Thus, if you have such an automation feature, this issue goes away.

I have mixed feelings about the lack of AHRI testing and wouldn't necessarily let that rule it out. And you may not care about the maintain heat function. I merely point them out and let you evaluate how important these are to you.

Also, the AQUACOMFORT has a 1750 model (which I think has a higher BTU (supposedly) than many other heat pumps).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.