Filter replacement

Hi I currently have a stainless steel pentair nautilus ns-48 filter that Has a crack
On the top half the crack is under a 1/2 inch. I had my pump replaced with the pentair vs 3hp pump and found the crack after
Turning on the pump for the first time this evening. I'm going to see if I can get the filter welded before I buy a new filter... If it will not work I was looking at the pentair clean and clear quad de filter . the problem I need help with
Is what model should I get? The filter I have now the pentair nautilus ns-48 says it is 48sq ft the pentair clean and clear shows the 320 model is 320sq ft then there is the 420 model at 420 sq ft.
The clean and clear still uses de but instead of grids it uses 4 cartridges and no backwash valve. Does anybody have experience with the clean and clear filters? Or would you recommend I get a new pentair fNS plus 48 sq ft de filter? My pool is estimated to be around 17,000 gallons according to my city water meter.
Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.
Thank you

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I think you are getting the filters mixed up. The Clean & Clear are cartridge filters, not DE filters. The DE filters are the Quad DE which come in 60, 80, and 100 sqft.

With a 17k gallon pool, I would suggest a cartridge filter of at lest 250sqft or a DE filter of at least 50 sqft. Since the Quad DE is not backwashed similar to a cartridge filter, there is no problem going as big as you want which will reduce the frequency of cleaning.

I would not suggest you weld the old filter.

Hi MR BACKHAND
and welcome to TFP. Jason is right about going big. When it comes to filters, teh bigger they are, the less you have to clean them and it also provide a bit more efficiency to the pump due to the lower psi of the big filter.
Generally speaking we recommend to get as big as your wallet will handle.

Thank you for the warm welcome . I decided to go with the newer version of my stainless pentair de filter the Pentair 180008 FNS Plus . I figured since my new plumbing was just done last week that it would be much easier to use the new
Filter which should line up to my backwash valve. I might need to raise the filter from the ground since it is a little bit shorter but that should be easy. Thanks jbizzle for correcting my mistake on the filters I had confused the clean and clear with the quad de.
I look forward to many years of the best pool site on the net it has helped me with my chemicals by using the BBB method.
Thanks and have a great evening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.