Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: intermittent transformer buzzing

1. Back To Top    #1

intermittent transformer buzzing

Hi

My low voltage transformer for the pool light makes a loud buzzing noise sometimes. Is this normal, or a sign that something needs to be repaired? I just bought the house recently, so don't know how long it's been doing it, and don't know doodley about pools yet.

Thanks!

Dan
    12 x 22 in-ground concrete pool, 5' deep. 10 years old. SW Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: intermittent transformer buzzing

Its probably nothing to worry about. When transformers go, they usually just go without much warning, if any.

Its not unusual for them to hum sometimes. They have a magnetic core and steel strips in them and when the currrent passes through, the magnetic force cuases the steel strips to vibrate and results in the humming sound

Quote Originally Posted by NoSnow4me View Post
    Hi

My low voltage transformer for the pool light makes a loud buzzing noise sometimes. Is this normal, or a sign that something needs to be repaired? I just bought the house recently, so don't know how long it's been doing it, and don't know doodley about pools yet.

Thanks!

Dan
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi again,

So, last night the light went out. I haven't pulled the bulb yet, but I did put a meter on the output of the transformer and it's giving me about 3V. It's still buzzing. I verified that the input voltage is the 110v that it's supposed to be. I know there's going to be a tolerance on the output voltage, but I expect that's too low. Does anyone have suggestions on troubleshooting and/or verifying the problem before I sink the bucks into a new bulb or transformer?

Thanks!

Dan
    12 x 22 in-ground concrete pool, 5' deep. 10 years old. SW Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

I think they are usually 12v, so I suspect your transformer is bad.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100