pump o rings

rajung

Mar 17, 2015
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Well I got the pool up and running,all parts were stored indoors during winter.
I have had the pump running about 6 hrs, no problem.
Now I see a drip only while its running around the band clamp that connects the strainer basket to the main unit.I haven't separated yet but wanted to do a search for o rings and such.According to my parts breakdown, there are 3 o rings,a spring seal and a ceramic seal.
Anyone have one of these pumps that had a leak in the same area?
Doughboy parts express has the spring seal and ceramic seal but don't list any o rings .
Really hate to go to my one and only doughboy dealer for 3 o rings.Out of state retailers wont sell.What a racket.
o ring sizes- 5.300" x .125"----1.740" x .125" and 1.29" x .103"
Just curious for any ideas, pump only 3 years old but after 90 days labor not covered.
I don't want to spend for travel charges and labor for 3.00 in parts.

thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.
Is that fairly common also to last about 3 years? since running the pump I always let it run 24/7.
I know many people have the Doughboy line of equipment but very few if any have the pumps and other items.In your opinion, is this the same reason why?Part availability for do it yourselfers?

I ordered 2 ceramic seal sets but not through Doughboy, hopefully the right size,5/8", from what I found this part number has multiple cross reference numbers and used in a lot of pumps.2 sets for 1/4 the $ of 1.(US seals ps-1000)
Are there any special tools needed?I have looked online for videos and such but nothing as for my particular pump,all for Hayward and other over the counter type pumps.thanks

Well, after shocking to the pool today, and running the pump, after about 8 hours, just checked, the pump isn't leaking.
I was re staining the deck and checked off and on and it appeared to slow down every couple hours.Now nothing and the pump is still running.
Any thoughts?seals on order but cant think ceramic seal would self heal.
I guess after the chlorine mixes I will shut off for a few hours and re start and check again.

You said the pump had been running all day and hadn't leaked. If it only leaks when off, the leak is on the suction side of the pump, not the pressure side. If it leaks all the time, the leak is on the pressure side of the pump. That might help you narrow down where it is leaking, or it might not.

don't know why it quit a couple days ago.
After the pump is off,its dry after about 4hrs.Once I start back up the next morning it starts dripping again, not terrible, but about a drop every 3-5 sec.
Not bad but hate to have it suddenly get worse if I'm not around while it running.
Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well forget about no leaks!
pump ran all night,shut off around 10am,worked on timer, turned pump on and it shoots a big stream straight out from band clamp for about 2 seconds.
Took cover off motor and the area behind the ceramic seal is dry at the pump shaft and no water on the bottom of housing, so I assume the ceramic seal is holding.
I can shut the pump off and back on and the same stream happens for a couple seconds and the slows to a drip, and maybe even stops.
I am thinking the unit builds up pressure when shut off and doing something with the o rings, may have been my original problem?
Bottom of pump case and shaft area was dry also before replaceing seal.
Any ideas?
I added a youtube link for a quick video I had taken, it does quit leaking and I think just drips off the rest of accumulated water arounfd clamp.Doesn't matter if I shut off for5 sec. or 5 min. same results.
http://youtu.be/ciqsNlrN6bg

Last edited:
Well, hopefully I can end this post.
Called my local Doughboy dealer about some o-rings.
He was looking at the same parts breakdown as me and said he only sees 1 o ring behind volute.
I ordered 2 since they are the same size.
Mind you this was a new pump with new pools Aug. 2012
First time I had the strainer basket off .
I decided to take apart again before the new seals showed up.
I left the o ring that was installed in the groove, but removed the o ring that was installed towards the front area near the flange where clamp goes around, no groove.
Since all parts break downs I see only show one seal.
Guess what?
Doesn't leak.
I have tried throughout the day turning off and restarting.
Next pump will not be a DB-parts are nuts to find and this 2.5 yr old unit I found out is discontinued.
Must have been sold a pump already taken apart and re assembled by Herbie the wanna be dentist.
Thanks all for the info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.