Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pump advice

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pump advice

I have a 24K gal inground pool that is 15 yrs old and has the original Sta-Rite Dynaglass MPRA6F-148L 1.5HP 230v pump, starite dual cartridge filter & gas heater. I have two skimmers and two returns plus a return for a buddy seat with a jacuzzi jet in each one, it also has a return line for a pressure cleaner I am no longer using since I replaced it with electric robot. I am considering adding solar heat, the pump is about 70ft from the house and would like to place the solar panels on the roof which is about 25ft to the roof. I want to replace the pump with either a 2 speed or Variable speed pump. I have no idea how much pressure I am gong to need once the solar panels are installed so I am wondering if it makes sense to spend the extra money on a VS pump to ensure I can dial in whatever I need to make all of this work properly or should I consider buying a separate pump just for the solar and get a 2 speed for the pool. Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pump advice

You can swap out the motor on the pump with a 2 speed, run on high when needed for solar and low the rest of the time.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you think there are any concerns with the pump housing being 15 yrs old. Would you advise replacing the impeller at the same time.
    24K Gal Foxx 22 x 36 Lagoon

4. Back To Top    #4

What's the condition overall? Why would you change out the impeller? Is there damage to it? They don't usually wear out, but get damaged from overheating (not enough water/failure to prime), or physical damage from not using the strainer basket. Some solar controllers will switch from low to high speed when solar is activated.

When you change out the motor, buy the seal kit, replace all the seals it should also have the shaft seal. You should be good to go.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Pump is in good condition, I will order the seal kit and motor. Thank you very much for your help.
    24K Gal Foxx 22 x 36 Lagoon