Need New Filter / Pump / Separation Tank HELP

Which Filter

• Total voters
Mar 15, 2015
San Ramon, CA
Hi, I just bought a house and got the pool with algae, Realtor just got algae cleared up on prev. owners dime. PB said I need a new filter, and I believe him as I am not seeing much flow and I only see good flow for one hour after cart cleaning. But don't find much gunk in the Cart. I am convinced to get a DE filter, might help my allergies. My backyard has lots of trees which I am going to clear but will still have my neighbors Pine Needles in my pool ( Thought of installing skimmer socks). Please help choosing Filter and recommend Pump Replacement. PB recommends QUAD DE filter with 1 HP VS pump. I think I'll have to spend a lot on replacement Carts on Quad DE. so was leaning towards Grid type Pentair or any other brand. I am open to plumb a separation tank if you think I would be backwashing more than once in 6 months. I could open it up in 6 months. Plan to use DE subtitutes. I am now following TFP method, great site.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, yes that filter is too small in my opinion. I would want at least a 250 sqft cartridge filter for that size pool. But, if you want DE ( no idea why this would help your allergies though), one of the 60 sqft grid filters would be good ... would match my setup.

You might be able to keep it running for over 6 months if you stay on top of the chemistry.

Given your pressure ratings ... the cartridge you have would need to be replaced if it is giving you a 20 psi pressure rise.

Can't help with specific equipment recommendations, but I can tell you this: I've been using cellulose DE replacement for a while now, and I backwash onto the front lawn. There's no buildup - it does break down, and the lawn seems to like it.

And if I had to re-plumb, I would install a multiport valve that allows a waste setting, to facilitate partial drains to lower the CH buildup.

Can't help with specific equipment recommendations, but I can tell you this: I've been using cellulose DE replacement for a while now, and I backwash onto the front lawn. There's no buildup - it does break down, and the lawn seems to like it.

And if I had to re-plumb, I would install a multiport valve that allows a waste setting, to facilitate partial drains to lower the CH buildup.

I think I have read most of your replies. Thanks for all the info i got from you. Theres a drought in California. So I wouldn't want to waste water through backwashing if it is much. If I go 6 months for backwashing a 60 sqft. filter then thats fine I won't get a separation tank. What do you guys suggest. And can someone comment how often they have/seen others replace Quad DE filter cart. I will surely get a Multiport Valve Richard, Thanks.

A DE filter isn't going to help your allergies any more or less than a cartridge or sand filter will. That said, the Quad DE gets great reviews. I've never actually heard of anyone needing to replace a cartridge. While grid type DE filters have problems with the grids often enough. The Quad DE doesn't backwash well, but opening it up to do a full cleanup is fairly easy.

A DE filter isn't going to help your allergies any more or less than a cartridge or sand filter will. That said, the Quad DE gets great reviews. I've never actually heard of anyone needing to replace a cartridge. While grid type DE filters have problems with the grids often enough. The Quad DE doesn't backwash well, but opening it up to do a full cleanup is fairly easy.

Still confused, Against Sand - I heard that after few years Water has lot of small particles that Sand filter cannot filter out on a regular basis ( clarifier might solve this). But still I'd be wasting water backwashing the Sand Filter.

Against Cartridges - Less filtration than DE ( though more than needed, probably) but Huge recurring cost to replace cartridges. Also having to take carts out to wash it seems to trigger allergies if I'm not wearing mask).

Against Quad Filter - Still having to replace cartridges, also spending on Cellulose, Also needing to wash it manually.

Against Grid Type DE - Have to get separation tank to avoid wasting water, Plumb a multiport valve in, Not sure if this will result in less flow thus having to run the pump at higher rpms, also if I will face issues re-assembling the grid back once a year ( although engineer by profession).

Please Help. Also confused between a 2 Speed 1.5 HP ( or 1 HP) and a Intelliflo pump. Have Intermatic timer installed already though.

I am confused about the point of your last post. Are you saying you are against all types of filter?

- Sand will continue to filter fine for decades. A quickly cleaning can help.
- Cartridges rarely have to be replaced unless you screw up the chemistry and they get scaled up or are too aggressive in cleaning them
- Quad DE, same comment as above.
- Grid DE, same as above.

You have to decide what you care most about:
- If you are worried about water loss, then a Cartridge or the Quad DE are the best choice and the Cart is going to be less hassle since you do not need the DE. Either will be a pain if you let algae start
- If you want the least amount of hassle, then a Sand filter is the best choice and easiest to deal with algae, but slowest to clear up cloudy water.

Realize that the CH in your pool water will always be climbing and at some point, unless you get a lot of rain, you are going to have to replace water ... the need to backwash can slow this rate of climb down.

For the pump, cheapest to put a 2-speed on existing pump to maintain adequate spa flow. The intelliflo is going to cost a good bit more, but will save a little more in electricity.

Sounds to me like you should buy the biggest sand filter you can find/afford.

That is where I am leaning if I ever replace my cartridge filter. We have a LOT of trees that drop a LOT of pollen and junk into the pool and I am not a big fan of cleaning four big cartridges several times per year. Especially when the water is too cold and I can't jump in after. Just did some of that last weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What are your electrical rates? Above $0.20/kWh will make the extra up front costs of the IntelliFlo worth it.

Against Sand - I heard that after few years Water has lot of small particles that Sand filter cannot filter out on a regular basis
Simply not true.

Huge recurring cost to replace cartridges
There is a cost, but it is rare enough that I wouldn't even begin to call it huge. Cartridges should last many years.

Still having to replace cartridges
As I said before, I've never heard of the cartridges in a quad DE needing to be replaced.

Plumb a multiport valve in
A multi-port valve is really nice to have and the disadvantages are so small you will probably never notice them.

Hi neighbor,

For California, I would suggest a large cartridge filter. I clean mine once per year. I have allergies too and it doesn't bother me at all because the debris is wet and so doesn't get airborne. The cartridge cost is not a big deal either I just replaced all four of my cartridges for $200 (Unicel) and that is after almost 10 years so about $20/year. If you take care of your cartridges, they can last a very long time.

Hi,

Thanks all for quick replies. I am not against all filters, although that would be funny. But life ain't simple with any of the filters. They all have their Plus and Minus. I am now thinking Sand or Grid Type might be the only ones that might not get much effect from Leaves and debris. Any Comments. My Electric Rates are more than 20-25c/h when Airconditioner is running in summer, and until i get solar panels installed so I'm happy with Intelliflo choice ( 100$ rebate available too). A good filter choice to pair with it might save more electricity or so I'm told.

You are worrying about a lot of things that really aren't important. Each kind of filter does have pros and cons, but all of them will work out just fine. Leaves and debris will be caught before the filter, and thus are irrelevant in filter choice.

The filter will have only a tiny effect on electrical usage, probably too small to measure. The effect it does have is based on size, larger filters are just slightly more energy efficient, and nothing at all to do with filter type.

You're right Jason, maybe i am overthinking this. All PBs are against DE these days recommending me cart filter about 420 sq ft. I might have to do this install myself and if i get a grid type will have to plumb a separation tank for sure. Should i get a Cart filter. Or is it better to stick with DE, quad DE or other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi neighbor,

Hi neighbor, happy to see someone from the neighborhood in this wonderful site.
I have heard this statement from someone about DE filter that makes me think. The statement was, and i quote "The only way I'm letting go of my DE filter is if they come with a gun".
And " I can toss a penny in the deep end and tell if its head or tails"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can read a coin in a pool with any filter type. And people get stuck in their ways and prefer a filter type ... Usually whatever they happen to have.

Stop over thinking.

Well, if that is the criteria then my cartridge filter gets two thumbs up. My water is so clear you can't even see it unless the surface is moving. I can count the pebbles in my pebblesheen. :-D

I am pretty sure that ultra clear sparkly water is all about good TFPC style chemical balance and not so much about mechanical filtration. Even in spring when I have pollen and tree junk everywhere my water is still perfectly clear.

I am thinking of going with a Quad DE filter, for ease of use, Filtration ability, probably better cart life and have heard it is good even if there's a algae issue someday. Will use a multiport valve. Also set on getting the intelliflow pump. Please recommend Filter size. DE 60 sq ft. is about $670 online, 80 sq ft. is about $800, 100 sq ft. is about $870 online.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.