Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic Pool Cleaner - Non-skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Automatic Pool Cleaner - Non-skimmer

Hey everyone

I have done some searching but can't find any good reviews. I am looking for a new cleaner, don't want to break the bank but I need one that is independent of the skimmer. My skimmer basket is small and it doesn't take much to fill it up when using the hand vacuum. I would like something mainly for the bottom that collects stuff in its own bag or internally in the cleaner itself.

What do you recommend I look at.

Thanks
    Clint
    27'x54" Matrix Resin - 200lb Pentair sand filter - 1.5hp Pentair optiflow 2 speed pump - Aquatrol SWG - Gorilla Pad

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Automatic Pool Cleaner - Non-skimmer

If you do not have a line to run a pressure cleaner and do not have a dedicated line to run a suction cleaner, then the only option is an independent electric robot.

Although you could add an inline leaf canister for your suction cleaner to collect stuff before the skimmer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I only have 1 return so I could use that to run a pressure cleaner, if I did what would you recommend, what is this inline leaf/debris canister you mention? I want to avoid using my skimmer if at possible, and there are a lot of electrics out there that seem to be hit and miss so I was looking for some real life feedback...
    27'x54" Matrix Resin - 200lb Pentair sand filter - 1.5hp Pentair optiflow 2 speed pump - Aquatrol SWG - Gorilla Pad

4. Back To Top    #4

Do a Google search for "leaf canister" ... beyond that I am no help
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hayward W560 is what I use. It's been great.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Tech guy what vacuum do you use?

7. Back To Top    #7

Per my signature, I am on my second AquaBug (Diver Dan this time). It just crawls around the floor sucking up the debris and I end up with a clean floor. The W560 leaf filter came as a bonus with the Craigslist bug I bought last year. In my 21' round pool, it takes about 2 hours. It does get stuck on toys left on the floor and can even suck a toy in. When it does, it will walk in circles and not get the floor clean but this is "my fault" (my kid's reallY ).

For the most part, my bug just lives in the water and I take it out when I am swimming. Abused? Don't know and really don't care. I have spent $200 total on the two bugs I have had and it has kept my pool clean for over 10 years. It has a water powered motor and is designed for the flat floor of my pool. It does not get stuck behind my ladder, but like I said, toys and larger debris can get stuck in it.

I also use a manual vacuum on the pole when the leaves get heavy or I want to take care of it quickly.

Here is a video made several years ago of my first aquabug.

https://youtu.be/NJrIqkf9k9A
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100