EcoStar SP3400VSP Flowrates?

Mar 30, 2015
Madison/MS
My first post :)

How can I determine the actual (or a decent approximation) flow of my Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP at various rpm ? Should I install a flow meter ?
Having some difficulty interpreting the 'performance data' at the lower rpm. I estimate I average about 40' to 45' of pipe from the pool to the pump (drains & skimmers).

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Why do you think you need the flow rates? They are generally unnecessary. If you are thinking something like "to determine turnover rate" ... forget about it and read: Determine Pump Run Time

Determining the flow rate is much more difficult than just measuring the pipe length as your post implies.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for filling out your profile and signature before posting BTW :goodjob:

The rate of flow, whether it is in GPM or in Turnovers per Day (TpD) or liters per minute or whatever is essential to determine if you are moving enough water (or too much thus too much $) through your system. Somewhere I read I should aim at 3 TpD. Since I have a variable speed, I can spread out the flow, higher in the day and much lower at night to reduce the noise (pump is just outside my bedroom), or maybe even turn it off. Also, I have a UV light which recommends lower flow rates to allow the light enough time to kill the germs passing through. Or maybe I can run the pump fast, get the turnovers quick and turn it off for the rest of the day. I read the recommended link, but I am still in the dark as to how to run the pump.
Yes, I am aware that is not easy to determine the flow, as very little is found no matter how hard I try to Google it.

That only applies to commercial pools. The rules for residential pools are totally different.

You want to run at the lowest speed where the skimmer(s) are happy (i.e. work well), but not slower than 1,000 RPM, for roughly four to six hours a day.

OK. I was running at 1,750 rpm from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM, then at 900 rpm from 10:00 PM to 7:00 AM.
I will follow this recommendation. Should I assume to run a bit longer in the Summer? Same speed?
Thanks.
PS. Curiosity is still killing me though ;)

I think you are on the right track now, but did you read the link I provided?

Also of note is that we feel that UV systems are a waste of money for outdoor residential pools. When it goes bad, I would not bother with fixing it. It actually breaks down some of the chlorine and thus requires you to add more which just is extra money.

We have lots of trees and debris. We run at 1100 for good skimming action. You can probably run a few hours am and a few pm at 1000-1100 rpm. As long as the pool is clean and the surface is skimmed you are good to go.

So, what is the recommended turns per day? 1, 2 or 3?

I found a posting from a couple of years ago that has a table of rpm/gpm/watts for the EcoStar. Assuming it is a decent estimate, 1,000 rpm is equivalent to 21 GPM, thus for a 17,000 gal pool it would turn 1.78 times per day. Is that sufficient?

- - - Updated - - -

The posting about the UV light bums me out, considering I spent almost $700...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You keep asking about turn overs and we keep saying they don't matter :D

Just run the pump as little as you can such that the pool is clean enough for you. Note that I said clean which does NOT mean algae. Algae is prevented through adequate chlorine and not pump run time.

Sometimes it is hard to overcome the pool store mantras. But, going in to my 4th season of TFPC I have full confidence. You will be there soon too. Seeing clear water and consistent test results will build the confidence.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.