need info on my capacitor

Sep 19, 2012
My 2008 Century Centurian 3/4 hp B668 booster pump for my Polaris 280 is not running and makes a humming noise. When I look at the shaft underneath, it seems to be moving smoothly. I'm guessing I might need a new capacitor (hope that's all!). I went to my local pool store and they will sell me a new capacitor for $30 but they said they can't test the old one for me (I brought it in with me).

Another customer suggested an auto parts store should be able to test it--no luck there. Can anyone help me find the part number so I might be able to order online for less money? I don't mind spending $10-15 to see if that's the problem but I don't want to spend more than that.

This is the capacitor under the hump that sticks up on top of the pump (is that the correct one--it seemed easiest to get to!). I've attached a photo with the info on the capacitor...I tried to upload another shot of it along with the pump but it wasn't letting me. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!
Devon

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 103
Well, I checked the capacitor (discharged it first) with an analog meter. Like in the video, I saw the needle go over to the right and slowly back. So it looks like it's a good capacitor. I was going to buy one from Amazon but I guess there's no need now.

The shaft runs smoothly w/o the motor being on so it wouldn't be the impeller, would it? I guess maybe it's time for a new motor. This one is from 2008...does that sound about right? I know they don't last forever!

For what it is worth - I had the same symptoms last year. I checked the capacitor and thought it was good but I switch the capacitor just to be sure I wasn't missing something (and I wasn't). I ending up buying a new pump off Amazon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.