Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need info on my capacitor

1. Back To Top    #1

need info on my capacitor

My 2008 Century Centurian 3/4 hp B668 booster pump for my Polaris 280 is not running and makes a humming noise. When I look at the shaft underneath, it seems to be moving smoothly. I'm guessing I might need a new capacitor (hope that's all!). I went to my local pool store and they will sell me a new capacitor for $30 but they said they can't test the old one for me (I brought it in with me).

Another customer suggested an auto parts store should be able to test it--no luck there. Can anyone help me find the part number so I might be able to order online for less money? I don't mind spending $10-15 to see if that's the problem but I don't want to spend more than that.

This is the capacitor under the hump that sticks up on top of the pump (is that the correct one--it seemed easiest to get to!). I've attached a photo with the info on the capacitor...I tried to upload another shot of it along with the pump but it wasn't letting me. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!
    Devon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20,000 gallons
    Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter
    IG, concrete/plaster floor, gunnite sides with fiberglass over
    Waterfall, Hayward Super II pump, 2HP, Polaris 280 pool sweep w/ 3/4hp booster pump
    Built in the early 60s

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need info on my capacitor

TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Will do. Thanks for the quick reply!
    20,000 gallons
    Waterfall, Hayward Super II pump, 2HP, Polaris 280 pool sweep w/ 3/4hp booster pump
    Built in the early 60s

4. Back To Top    #4

you can easily test a capacitor if you have a volt meter. Very simple to do.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRt9WYK1wdQ

If you have a digital meter, first turn the dial to OHMS and touch the terminals on the capacitor.
    Then turn the dial to volts and see if the voltage jumps and the slowly discharges
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The capacitor is metal... Make sure to replace it with a run capacitor, not a start capacitor.

http://www.amazon.com/CAPACITOR-370V...5FNTX5C1AGNQSS
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

6. Back To Top    #6

be careful capacitors hold a charge and can shock you even when disconnected. have to ground it . usually bad ones have bloated sides or top . usually if there bad the shaft will not be turning .

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by racket View Post
    The capacitor is metal... Make sure to replace it with a run capacitor, not a start capacitor.

http://www.amazon.com/CAPACITOR-370V...5FNTX5C1AGNQSS
    There is no difference in a run and start cap other than the values usually differ significantly.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, I checked the capacitor (discharged it first) with an analog meter. Like in the video, I saw the needle go over to the right and slowly back. So it looks like it's a good capacitor. I was going to buy one from Amazon but I guess there's no need now.

The shaft runs smoothly w/o the motor being on so it wouldn't be the impeller, would it? I guess maybe it's time for a new motor. This one is from 2008...does that sound about right? I know they don't last forever!
    20,000 gallons
    Built in the early 60s

9. Back To Top    #9

For what it is worth - I had the same symptoms last year. I checked the capacitor and thought it was good but I switch the capacitor just to be sure I wasn't missing something (and I wasn't). I ending up buying a new pump off Amazon.
    35000 gallon inground, 2hp Whisperflo, Pentair FNS Plus, Polaris 380