New Pool Owner - Might dynomite soon

Mar 30, 2015
Fulshear, TX
I don't even know where to begin...For the first time in my life I feel like a complete idiot. I've kicked butt in all other "schools", but pool school...I'd rather go back to grad school. This large hole with water is my nemesis, yet I'm determined it will not beat me. It was completed and filled in mid February. We just started adding chlorine 10 days ago when the pool temp reached 70 degrees. Maybe we waited to long - No clue, BUT I took my water to Lesley's Pool Supply this morning due to an inability to get the chlorine up to an acceptable rate and the results are in: We are failing as pool parents. :( Our Ph is great. We are proud of this. It's all we have...;) Any good pool therapy out there? I miss the good ole days already when my feet were hanging outside of a 4 ft. diameter inflatable pool. Water was unsatisfactory? No prob! Dump it out and put the hose back in. Sigh...

Welcome! :wave:

Mistake number one: trusting the pool store. Their free testing is seldom free. How much did they take from you this last trip? How high are your phosphates? Not that they make any difference in a wellmaintained pool, but phosphate removers are a highprofit item.

Right now, before you read anything else, order a proper test kit. You can read the comparisons in Test Kits Compared, or just skip it and order a TF100. No, I do not get a kickback, but it is what I use.

Others will be along -- if they haven't typed faster than me already - with lists of pool school articles to read. So instead, I will refer you to a thread with some of my favorite threads. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72516-Recovering-my-old-inspirational-links

:wave: Hi Allison and welcome!

You haven't failed as a new pool parent or you wouldn't be here. Pool School is a bit daunting at first but read and then read again. It all starts to make sense eventually.

But first, decide who is going to advise you about your pool...the pool store? Those methods don't often jive with the teachings here. So I recommend you for the job! Armed with the knowledge of these forums and advice of the experts here, you will have a clear, sparkling pool in no time.

And everything begins with accurate testing. Have you ordered a good test kit yet? No? Ok, here's a handy reference to help you choose.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison TF-100 is very popular here and if you have visible algae, I would order the XL kit. It is the single best investment you will ever make. While you're waiting for delivery, keep reading Pool School. After your first set of test results, post them back to this thread if you would like advice on your next steps.

Oh, and pictures please! They just make things more interesting, ya know?

I don't even know where to begin...For the first time in my life I feel like a complete idiot. I've kicked butt in all other "schools", but pool school...I'd rather go back to grad school. This large hole with water is my nemesis, yet I'm determined it will not beat me. It was completed and filled in mid February. We just started adding chlorine 10 days ago when the pool temp reached 70 degrees. Maybe we waited to long - No clue, BUT I took my water to Lesley's Pool Supply this morning due to an inability to get the chlorine up to an acceptable rate and the results are in: We are failing as pool parents. :( Our Ph is great. We are proud of this. It's all we have...;) Any good pool therapy out there? I miss the good ole days already when my feet were hanging outside of a 4 ft. diameter inflatable pool. Water was unsatisfactory? No prob! Dump it out and put the hose back in. Sigh...

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place. get on that TF100 test kit as directed above. While you wait, look at the pool school, ABC's of water chemistry is a great place to start.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please step away from the wick and extinguish the lighter :shock:

We recommend "opening" pools before the water get over 60 degrees ... so do that late along with trusting the pool store have got you off to a bad start. Luckily it is easy to fix with a little investment of money and time learning.

I agree with the others, order the TF-100, XL option would be good + the SpeedStir if you can swing it. This small investment will make your pool life so much easier.

While waiting, these are some good articles to start with in Pool School:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

And always ask questions as they arise ;)

I'm just going to say... If I can figure this out, and you have a Masters, you certainly can. Breathe deep, order a test kit and Speed Stir (and get an extra stirring "pill" while you're at it - trust me), visit your nearby warehouse store and pick up some bleach, go back to the pool store only for a Wall Whale brush, and ask questions. This forum and the people in it are so helpful. Your pool will be clear and inviting in no time.

Hi Allison,
everything you have read on this thread so far is true. THere are a few things you need to know, while you are learning.
The levels that you need your water parameters are in this link.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

If you dont keep your FC in proper ratio with CYA (a.k.a. stabilier or conditioner), then you will get algae, no matter what you throw in to prevent it.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

So how to know how much of what to put in? Well we happen to have this snazzy little tool called Pool Math. You will use this for as long as you have a pool.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Now, get yourself a test kit. The TF100 is the best bang for the buck. www.tftestkits.net
Pool store testing as well as their advice is unfortunatley, very inaccurate.

If you hang out here at TFP and do a little reading, you will gain the knowledge needed to efficiently and effectively take care of your pool.

I also look forward to seeing you improving that signature!
:)

I felt the same way with my first intex pool!
Learned here how to properly care for it with my TF-100 kit with TFP forum and loved it so much after 2 years got a bigger pool.
Post back and we can help, we all have been there and started as a newbie!

Chuck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.