Would using Softswim Oxysheen be the same as Baquacil CDX?

Jul 20, 2014
Berks County, PA
Hi,

My pool supply store recently told me that Baquacil CDX has been replaced by Softswim Oxysheen (untrue for one thing) and that it works just as well if not better. I use CDX primarily as a means of helping to avoid getting white water mold. So what I would like to know is - do these two products work basically the same as the store is telling me? The Oxysheen is 42.8% potassium peroxymonopersulfate, and 4.3% active oxygen with a pH of 2.3. The CDX is 2,2-dibromo-3-nitrilopropionamide. Which one is better for my purposes?

Another question I have also pertains to something that the store told me, which is that Baquacil Oxidizer is the same as Softswim Clarifier. The former has 27% hydrogen peroxide and the latter 25.7%. I'm not sure about any other ingredients. I do think that the Baquacil system overall has worked better for me than Softswim in terms of longer filter cycles and less water mold / slime issues, and so I hesitate to go back to Softswim. Why I was told that Baqaucil products are no longer available is beyond me. I chatted with a Baquacil agent and they indicated that Baquacil is still made and readily available.

Thanks,
Keith

I am going to move this over to the Baq forum. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your questions.

Any reason you have not ditched this expensive stuff and switched to chlorine? :scratch:

Oxysheen is non-chlorine shock (MPS). As shown in this MSDS, CDX is not the chemical you listed but rather dimethylhydantoin (DMH) and variants (hydroxymethylhydantoin and Dimethyloldimethyl hydantoin). I don't think the CDX contains bromine as in the chemical you indicated. Where did you get that ingredient -- is it listed on the bottle?

At any rate, the two are not at all the same. I don't know of MPS would inhibit white water mold.

Hi chem geek,

Yeah...I got that info right on the CDX bottle - that it contains DBNPA.

Jason - I just don't care for the overall feel of the water with chlorine compared to the biguanide. A few other issues as well. I got really tired of chlorine demand - it got to be ridiculous. I know...you will tell me that I probably wasn't regulating the overall balance very well, and very possibly true, but right now I have no immediate plans to go back to chlorine.

I don't think I could deal with water mold and slime in my pool. Yuck!

Good luck with the baq.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.