Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would using Softswim Oxysheen be the same as Baquacil CDX?

1. Back To Top    #1

Would using Softswim Oxysheen be the same as Baquacil CDX?

Hi,

My pool supply store recently told me that Baquacil CDX has been replaced by Softswim Oxysheen (untrue for one thing) and that it works just as well if not better. I use CDX primarily as a means of helping to avoid getting white water mold. So what I would like to know is - do these two products work basically the same as the store is telling me? The Oxysheen is 42.8% potassium peroxymonopersulfate, and 4.3% active oxygen with a pH of 2.3. The CDX is 2,2-dibromo-3-nitrilopropionamide. Which one is better for my purposes?

Another question I have also pertains to something that the store told me, which is that Baquacil Oxidizer is the same as Softswim Clarifier. The former has 27% hydrogen peroxide and the latter 25.7%. I'm not sure about any other ingredients. I do think that the Baquacil system overall has worked better for me than Softswim in terms of longer filter cycles and less water mold / slime issues, and so I hesitate to go back to Softswim. Why I was told that Baqaucil products are no longer available is beyond me. I chatted with a Baquacil agent and they indicated that Baquacil is still made and readily available.

Thanks,
    Keith
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Would using Softswim Oxysheen be the same as Baquacil CDX?

I am going to move this over to the Baq forum. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your questions.

Any reason you have not ditched this expensive stuff and switched to chlorine?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Oxysheen is non-chlorine shock (MPS). As shown in this MSDS, CDX is not the chemical you listed but rather dimethylhydantoin (DMH) and variants (hydroxymethylhydantoin and Dimethyloldimethyl hydantoin). I don't think the CDX contains bromine as in the chemical you indicated. Where did you get that ingredient -- is it listed on the bottle?

At any rate, the two are not at all the same. I don't know of MPS would inhibit white water mold.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi chem geek,

Yeah...I got that info right on the CDX bottle - that it contains DBNPA.

Jason - I just don't care for the overall feel of the water with chlorine compared to the biguanide. A few other issues as well. I got really tired of chlorine demand - it got to be ridiculous. I know...you will tell me that I probably wasn't regulating the overall balance very well, and very possibly true, but right now I have no immediate plans to go back to chlorine.
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, I will spare you the speech

But it is true that chlorine is cheaper with fewer chances of problems. Good luck either way
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think I could deal with water mold and slime in my pool. Yuck!

Good luck with the baq.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

It's actually not a big deal unless you really let it get out of hand. Thanks for the good-luck wish. I shall prevail over the mold...