Pool Depth - Question About Deep End Profile

Jul 10, 2014
Baton Rouge, LA
Most pool depth profiles I see have a flattened out portion in the deep end where the main drain goes. My profile currently does not. I assume these "flat" portions are actually slightly sloped so that water will flow to the main drain. So, I'm thinking I need to adjust my deep end profile a little bit to be the same way, since currently it just slopes down the whole length of section 3 in the photo. I have 2 questions regarding this:

1. Is there a minimum recommended length/distance I should use for this "flat" portion where the main drain will go?

2. Are there any rules/recommendations on how far away from the wall the main drain should be?

Thanks for any input!

That profile will be a challenge to keep clean. You want everything sloping toward the drain or at the same depth as the drain. All of the dirt in yours will accumulate at the bottom of the wall, which is an area many cleaners will struggle with. It might also present some dig and liner issues if you are going with a liner pool. There is no real benefit to going down to 6' on the end.

If you are going to have kids in the pool, you want a flat area in the shallow end. The slope will tend to draw them down to the deeper water.

Your slope in the deep end is too steep.. In water less than 5' deep, the slope shouldn't exceed 1' in 12' of horizontal run. That means you have to run 6' to drop to 5'. This is a safety issue which can pull non-swimmers in over their heads very easily.

Thanks for the input JohnT. I see your points. This will be a gunnite pool (no liner). I've revised the profile as shown below to max out at 5' with the max recommended slopes you mentioned. The 55" (4.6') section in the middle is my controlling area, so I adjusted the deep and shallow ends accordingly. Any additional thoughts based on this new layout? Also, I wasn't sure about the minimum radius to use on the ends, but I found a standard drawing here (http://www.lrcc.org/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/TEMP012.pdf) that appeared to have some reasonable dimensions, so I used those.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.