Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster isn't right - considering an acid bath. Advice appreciated!

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster isn't right - considering an acid bath. Advice appreciated!

My pool is 1.5 years old now. I have diamond brite plaster. It has ALWAYS been streaky/splotchy (there's also a couple "drips") and has minimal Quartz exposed. My neighbor has the same plaster, but the PB did an acid bath on his. He has a LOT of Quartz exposure and it is the look I want. We both have bahama breeze, but our water color/plaster is night and day. We had the same PB, but he didn't do the acid bath on mine. He only did it on my neighbor's after he was dissatisfied with his finish. Doing the acid bath evened out the variations in color and (I believe) exposed more Quartz in his pool.
    YES, the PB should've fixed it, but I'm over dealing with him. Things didn't end so well with us. What are your thoughts on an acid bath for these reasons and do you have a guide on how to do it properly?
    BTW, I do have a spa so the water does run through the heater (if that matters).
    Thanks in advance!
    18k Gallon gunite with Diamond Brite Bahama Breeze, Intellichlor IC20 SWG, Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Clean and Clear

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster isn't right - considering an acid bath. Advice appreciated!

Yes, we have a guide. I'm not a fan of acid startups, but the link is below. You don't run the equipment during the procedure while the pH is still low. Doing so could and likely would destroy your heater or severely damage it.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...w-pool-plaster
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Patrick. Do you know the ph goal for this process?

18k Gallon gunite with Diamond Brite Bahama Breeze, Intellichlor IC20 SWG, Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Clean and Clear

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know what the goal is, but if you use pool math at the top of the page, you can use the effects of adding chemicals to determine about what it will be based on your pool volume. Follow the guidelines in the procedure for the amount of addition and plug those numbers in for your system.

As for the end pH is it something you are just curious about, or do you have a way to actually test it once the proper dosage is made? The pH will be below, far below what any pool kit will test for pH wise.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Make sure you use full strength acid 31.45%, not the half strength stuff.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Patrick....you answered my question. Trying to test the ph will be pointless as the kit won't go that low

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm not sure what a base demand test is. Also, my pool is already chlorinated. Does that make a difference?