Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High consumption of salt

1. Back To Top    #1

High consumption of salt

Ever since August of last year, the pool is requiring an excessive amount of salt. I have about a 10,000 gallon pool. I can get the saltwater level up to about 2.9 and then over time it falls requiring me to go out and buy a new bag every month and dump it in. I have tried pouring it into the shallow end, mixing it in a bucket before I pour it in, etc..I have also tried to clean the salt cell mixing with the muriatic acid solution and water.

The pool temperature is about 70 degrees right now. According to my test strips, I do have chlorine in the pool. My ph I keep constantly in the safe zone. I am just not sure why I continue to go through salt. The person at the pool store told me I might have a bad cell. The cell has lasted me about 8 years and is a Jandy Aquapure.

Any ideas?

thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High consumption of salt

Eight years is quite some time for a SWG cell. Compare the salt level that your SWG gives you with some other method (strips, salt test, pool store, etc). If they disagree, then you have either a sensor problem or a cell problem.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

It could be equipment error, so a salt test is a good idea. Another possibility is that you might have a leak. How often do you add water?

4. Back To Top    #4

A leak, a lot of rain or splash out is the only way to lose salt. Salt is not consumed and salt does not evaporate.

Update your signature and location so we can have more information.

Instructions here:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/faq.p...3_user_profile
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

If you've gotten a lot of rain, or done a lot of backwashing, that can also dilute the salt level.

you mention you have it at 2.9. I am assuming that means 2900 ppm. For most SWG's that is at the bottom end of the operating range and it wouldnt take much dilution to have a low salt level from 2900.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    It could be equipment error, so a salt test is a good idea. Another possibility is that you might have a leak. How often do you add water?

I add water about twice per week which is not out of the norm where I live because its so windy. I had it checked for a leak about 3 years ago and no leak was found.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    A leak, a lot of rain or splash out is the only way to lose salt. Salt is not consumed and salt does not evaporate.

Update your signature and location so we can have more information.

Instructions here:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/faq.p...3_user_profile
    I live in Corona, California in Southern California.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    If you've gotten a lot of rain, or done a lot of backwashing, that can also dilute the salt level.

you mention you have it at 2.9. I am assuming that means 2900 ppm. For most SWG's that is at the bottom end of the operating range and it wouldnt take much dilution to have a low salt level from 2900.

Sorry, yes it means 2900. Back in June of last year, I replaced the flow sensor because that was causing problems. Prior years, I have kept the salt level around 3300-3500. That was easy to do with a bag of salt. Now, that I must have added close to 6-7 bags of salt over the course of the last 8 months, I have never been able to get it over 2900. When I dump the salt into the pool, the initial reading would be over that but after time, it would drop back to down again. I was hoping that soaking the cell in the muriatic acid would solve the problem but, it did not seem to.

7. Back To Top    #7

You almost certainly need a new cell. They will read lower and lower as they die...so your true salt level is probably through the roof by now, unfortunately. Slap the new cell in and you may be ok, or you might need to drain some water to get the salt level down.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd take a sample to a couple of pool places and have them test the salt. That will tell you more about whats going on with your pool or cell.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
    You almost certainly need a new cell. They will read lower and lower as they die...so your true salt level is probably through the roof by now, unfortunately. Slap the new cell in and you may be ok, or you might need to drain some water to get the salt level down.
    Assuming that I am high on salt and switch back to chlorine tabs, what is the drawback to having a high salt level in the pool? Since no one swims in the pool anymore, not sure if I want to invest the money into a new cell.

10. Back To Top    #10

Avoid chlorine tabs. They'll raise your CYA level too fast, and then you'll have more problems. Use liquid chlorine/bleach. Pools have a daily chlorine demand whether or not they're being used.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

Salt levels above 6000 start to cause corrosion. It is fairly trivial around 6000, and becomes more significant as the salt level goes up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for all the info. Tomorrow, I will take a water sample to the local pool supply store to check the salt level. Hopefully, its not too high. Draining and refilling the pool might be a problem with the water crisis around here. I think my local municipality is banning filling a pool with water.

13. Back To Top    #13

Your water crisis amuses me in that residential water use is < 15% of the CA water consumption. Putting limits on the residential user is like a drop in the bucket ... your agriculture is the largest water hog and that is where this crisis is going to have to be corrected.

... sorry for the aside
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Usually the banning of pool filling by municipalities is on new pool permits and new pool builds.

I agree jblizzle. 10% of CA water consumption is used on almonds alone. Maybe we should grow almonds somewhere that it rains. Don't hit me for hijacking!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm with the others here in thinking your cell is on it's last legs. I just replaced mine. It lasted 6 years. I would zero the reading out to get rid of the historical values and it would only last a day before the instant reading it was "seeing" would take the average down to where my inspect cell and check salt lights were flashing again.

I'm also with the others on having your salt level checked, either by your own test or taking it in to the pool supply store. I've always found the reading the salt system has to be off. Sometimes by A LOT.

In my case the cell was definitely going out. I just put the replacement cell in today and its reading within 100ppm of what my salt test says I'm at. And, another indication, the return nearest the cell has at least twice the bubbles rising from it as when the old cell was in operation. A good operating salt cell will usually show by a large volume of chlorine gas bubbles emanating from the return stream. Am I right Fellas?
    Mark
    N. Texas
    34,000 Gal. I/G, Pebbletec, Aqua Rite SWCG, FNS 60 D.E. Filter, 1HP Whisperflo, Letro Legend Cleaner/w Booster Pump.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

If it is a Jandy Aquapure there should be a separate sensor installed to detect the salt. It is not a function of the cell like it is on most other brands.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps