New pool owner - think I finally have a slight idea what I'm doing

Mar 29, 2015
Indiana
Hey everyone, looking forward to learning more from you all than I already have. We moved into a home last fall with an inground fiberglass pool (wanted fiberglass for the doggies) and had nothing but water trouble for the month we were able to swim. The water was initially crystal clear but PH was 6.0, ammonia was 4ppm, and CYA was above 200. I was at the pool store every day buying more stuff to try to fix things, but that just caused more problems.

I'm planning on opening next week so we'll see where the CYA is. Hopefully it's gone down. If not I just ordered some of the new bioactive CYA reducer, I'll see if that works before I have to do a series of drain/refills. The pool has always been on chlorine tablets so I'm sure that was the main cause of the high CYA.

Thanks to you all for the help you've already been with the good information in your posts.

Welcome to TFP!

If your Cya is high, and you use the treatment, we will be very interested in how that goes. To my knowledge you will be the first we've seen here, and some of us are very curious about it. May I inquire how you are testing, as in what kit you are using? Do you have it tested? Mostly curious because of the ammonia listing.

I bought the Taylor k2006 kit. First off I didn't really know what I was doing, but secondly I couldn't get very many results because my numbers were so far off. I never got a PH that was even close to any of the colors, CYA test was bad since it was so high, and not until the end did I get my chlorine under control "by pool store standards" with a constantly high CC.

I began to go to the pool store with the fancy digital tester which is where I learned about the ammonia and how far off the other numbers were, which explained why I wasn't having any luck with the drop kit. So they gave me about a million bags of shock to get rid of the ammonia, which did lower it, however my pool turned into a brown swamp. The geniuses at the pool store said that was just from "all the stuff the chlorine killed". After reading on here I learned it was due to metals in the pool which a sequestriant finally took care of.

With regards to CYA reducer I called the company, and they were actually very helpful and seemed to know what they were talking about (not that I do). I asked about when it would be available and they hinted that either they were having problems with distributors or it was at least taking longer than they had anticipated. Either way, they said they would sell to individuals for a short time until it gets into stores, as all the product is already made. So I went ahead and ordered it, $60 plus shipping from CA. So if anyone else wants it ASAP you can call and order, otherwise it should be out in a few weeks and they will stop selling direct.

The sad truth is your numbers were most likely the good ones. You can't go wrong with the results from that kit if done correctly. Start a new thread on the pH colors problem in "Testing and Balancing" so we can help you figure that out and get it straight.