Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing for Chlorine vs Bromine

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Testing for Chlorine vs Bromine

Hi All! I've been lurking and reading a lot on this forum since early January when I got this spa, and really, really appreciate the wealth of knowledge here!

I'm using the 3-stage bromine process and an OTO-type test kit. It's my understanding that you can't easily distinguish between chlorine and bromine without a bromine specific kit like the Taylor 2106, and if you add the proper amount of sodium bromide (to get 30 ppm) at each tub fill-up, then there isn't any real need to test for it.
    So my question is, when I add bleach, (say 1/4 cup of 8.25% bleach in 130 gal water) about how long does it take for the chlorine to dissipate so that only bromine is left, and what I see on the OTO test is actually bromine not chlorine?
    2009 130 Gal (2-person) 115 volt Dynasty Spa. Temp 102*, cartridge filter, 2-speed pump w/ automatic cycles, insulated cover. Outdoors, but inside fenced patio with canopy. Sanitized with TFP 3-step Bromine method. TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing for Chlorine vs Bromine

Welcome to TFP!

Actually the Taylor bromine test kit doesn't distinguish between chlorine and bromine. All of these kits can't tell the difference. The reason for separate kits is that you don't need to (nor are you able to) test for Combined Bromine and you don't need the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) test. The units of measurement for chlorine and bromine are different where 1 ppm chlorine is 2.25 ppm bromine.

The chlorine will react with the bromide turning it into bromine rather quickly in minutes. Whether it's still chlorine or it's become bromine, the measurement on the OTO and any other test will be the same except that a chlorine test will give you chlorine ppm units while a bromine test will give you bromine ppm units, though for some test kits that show both, they use a simplified factor of 2 so that 1 ppm chlorine is 2 ppm bromine, but that's just an approximation.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Testing for Chlorine vs Bromine

Thank you very much!
    2009 130 Gal (2-person) 115 volt Dynasty Spa. Temp 102*, cartridge filter, 2-speed pump w/ automatic cycles, insulated cover. Outdoors, but inside fenced patio with canopy. Sanitized with TFP 3-step Bromine method. TF-100 Test Kit.