Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

New sand filter

Looking to replace my old sand filter. Currently have a Hayward 18". Pump is a Pentair 2 speed 1HP. 14000 gallon pool.
    Was looking at either a 22" or 24" for a replacement. Any advice would be appreciated.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New sand filter

Bigger is better on a sand filter. 24" ought to be just fine though.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's where I was leaning. I just wanted to make sure a 24" would work properly with the pump on low speed.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bk406 View Post
    That's where I was leaning. I just wanted to make sure a 24" would work properly with the pump on low speed.
    The only time speed comes into play is during backwashing, and your pump ought to be able to dislodge things. If it isn't, no big deal. You just open up the filter and clean it manually with a garden hose once a year. Install unions when you're plumbing it in and it ought to be a snap.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I'm using unions for sure