Newbie - First Test Results

Mar 12, 2015
Chandler/AZ
Just finished a pool remodel and tested the water for the first time with the TF-100. We put in a SWG, but were told we cannot use it for 45 days. So, the builder instructed us to use chlorine floaters for the next 6 weeks until we add salt and get the unit up and running. Here were my initial results:

FC - 1.5
PH - 7.8
TA - 170
CYA - 20
CC - 0

When they started the pool the builder said he added stabilizer, but wondering if they just didn't add enough? Also, how do I go about lowering my TA? Anything else is should be looking at?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP !
You need to get some more stabilizer in there and raise your FC up to 3 with bleach. Your FC is below the min of 2.
I would add enough granular stabilizer to get your CYA up to 50 and manually dose with bleach until your ready to fire up the SWG. The. When your ready to start the SWG bump the CYA up to 70-80.
When your CYA level is at 50 target your FC at 7-8 and don't let it go below the min of 4.
When you add your stabilizer put it in a sock and place the sock in your skimmer basket. Run your pump the whole time until it dissolves. You can give it a squeeze every so often to help it dissolve faster. While it's dissolving raise your FC up to 7-8 with bleach.
Use Pool Math to figure out your dosing of bleach and stabilizer.
Here is an article on How To Lower TA. What's the TA of your fill water ? Keep an eye on your PH and when it gets to 8 lower it with acid. This will also help lower your TA although it will do so slowly.
Also take some time to look at these articles if you already haven't.
ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Levels

Welcome! :wave:

Chlorine floaters almost always use Trichlor tablets. Trichlor adds chlorine and CYA and also lowers pH. By extension, lowering pH also lowers TA. In your particular case, you need all three, and you already own the pucks, so you're okay. Take a gander at the bucket of pucks and see what the active ingredient is. Using trichlor is not bad, per se, but you must be aware of what you're adding. Blindly using them will lead to oversaturation with CYA (aka stabilizer) or possibly drive the pH and TA down too low. The latter case is unlikely with fresh plaster, however.

Just so you know... way down at the bottom of poolmath, there's a line that says "effects of adding chemicals". With your other numbers plugged in above, you'll see that each 8 oz puck will add 3.3 FC and 2 CYA, as well as lower the pH approximately .2. The pH reduction is a rough guess; the TA you have in your pool will fight that, as will the curing plaster. The point being, your low CYA will come up awfully fast just by using the pucks, so don't overdo it. You can always add more CYA, removal involves water replacement.

Another thing to consider is that for some bizarre reason, granular CYA takes about a week to register on the test. So if it's only been a couple days, it might really be 30 or 40 and not 20. Also, that test is one of the hardest to do. Most everyone takes multiple readings for the CYA, using the same solution.

Just so you have something to look forward to, when you do make the transition to salt, hold Diamond Day. Check post #5

Ok, thanks. Yes, the pucks I have are trichlor pucks. And yes, the CYA test was the most difficult one! It has been just shy of 2 weeks since the granular stabilizer was added. I will use the pucks this week and see how that affects my numbers. Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

And I just looked up "Diamond Day", my 3 and 5-year-old daughters will love it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.