Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tensioner bands on suction side line?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tensioner bands on suction side line?

Hey Folks,

Springtime pump/motor changeout in progress. While committed to conducting PVC work, I figured I would address another problem.

I've always had some sort of suction side problem with this pool. Most of the time it's OK with just a tiny amount of bubbles. However, sometimes the suction leak gets so bad the pump loses prime.

So I dug up the suction/intake line and found two adjacent metal tensioner bands on the horizontal side of the intake line just before the 90 turn to vertical at the pumping station.

I made a video and put it on FB. Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...91871085916052

If you have any comments, please share.

Thanks,
    McFlubbin
    18'x36' 30,000 gal IGP, Sand Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Main and Booster pumps with Polaris 360.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tensioner bands on suction side line?

That looks like flexible black poly pipe, which uses barbed fittings with hose clamps like those on the outside. Those connections can be very finicky sometimes, but once you get a good seal will usually stay sealed for a long time.

Black poly was much more common about 20 years ago, compared to these days.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    That looks like flexible black poly pipe, which uses barbed fittings with hose clamps like those on the outside. Those connections can be very finicky sometimes, but once you get a good seal will usually stay sealed for a long time.

Black poly was much more common about 20 years ago, compared to these days.
    Thanks!

Can I assume the flexible black poly pipe runs all the way back to the skimmer?
    18'x36' 30,000 gal IGP, Sand Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Main and Booster pumps with Polaris 360.

4. Back To Top    #4

That is a very reasonable assumption.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I personally don't like worm clamps but prefer t-bolt clamps as you can snug them down tighter without stripping...

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    That is a very reasonable assumption.
    Well, since I have what seems like a small airport's worth of concrete apron...I'll wait until the situation is more dire.

Thanks,
    McFlubbin