Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Multi Color Spa Light issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Multi Color Spa Light issue

Hello ,I have a Pentair multi color spa light which flickered a little when turned on then went almost dark . I say almost because you can see the light is on and I can change between colors but all remain almost completely dark . I have a Jandy 8 function spa link & in house Aqua Link RS running it & both have the same problem . I also have the Jandy sub control panel and that has the same issue .So 3 area's to turn the lights on with the same problem . Pool lights are still running fine its just this spa light . System is about 8 years old . I can hear the relays click on for both the pool light & the spa light with only the spa issue .
    Bulbs I doubt but Relays maybe? or am I looking at something more difficult ? Thanks for the help .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Multi Color Spa Light issue

Welcome to TFP!

That could be a transformer problem, or a loose connection somewhere. It is also possible that some of the electronics in the fixture have burned out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply JasonLion. I just took the spa light out & noticed half of it filled with water , so your right on . 1 smaller bulb (MR8) fried & 3 larger (MR11) don't look so hot either . Plus the rotating color wheel looks horrible too . All else looks fine , housing , wiring into it ,glass lens & clamp ring all look good. Pool electrical done by a professional 8 years ago but now I'm kinda wondering how professional was he , shouldn't a breaker have popped when the light came on while wet ? Top it off I was in it when it started to flicker & nothing popped ,scarey . Anyways , do you think I have a chance of changing the bulbs ,color wheel & new seal & it working ?
    Thanks again .

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, you have reasonably good odds of repairing it without replacing the entire fixture.

It is family common for low voltage lights to not trip the breaker when something is wrong.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You should have a gfci on the lights. However since the SAM/SAL lights have an internal transformer potted into the fixture, if the light fixture gets wet, it may not trip the GFCI>
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool