Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return jet pumping debris in pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Return jet pumping debris in pool.

Hi guys,

Long story short ended up draining and refilling the pool, turned the pumps on yesterday and everything was fine. Woke up today, got pump going after it lost is prime and it sprayed brownish greenish water from the jets. Did this to me a couple of weeks ago also. I have a Auquatec TA-60 sand filter with a water ace pump.
    30,000 gallon In-Ground vinyl, small fountain, Polaris 9300 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Return jet pumping debris in pool.

There is something wrong with the filter. By far the most likely possibility is that the sand has become channeled, though there is some small chance something more serious is wrong.

Channeling can be fixed by deep cleaning the filter sand.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow, been deep cleaning now for a while and man is there some nasty stuff coming out. The color of the water is the same color that was clmjng through the jets. I'll contjnue till it clears totally thanks again and I hope this will fix it. I did however just change the sand about a year ago.

4. Back To Top    #4

You ought to see one after 5 years!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

When my sand filter did this, I thought it was broken too. I did some reading on the forum and found that if you do not rinse long enough, stuff will blow back into the pool. So, to keep from draining the pool, I started backwashing/rinsing cycles. One minute each for three or four cycles. I have not had anything blow back in the pool since I started this routine. I think a lot of people skimp on the rinse because it just seems to waste water but apparently, it serves a very important purpose. I hope this is your problem so you don't have to buy a new filter.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    You ought to see one after 5 years!
    Or one from a commercial spa!>
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

7. Back To Top    #7

ewwww!

Quote Originally Posted by racket View Post
    Or one from a commercial spa!>
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Guys I'm still having the problem. The thing is when the pool loses its prime, I will prime it, it blows air bubble from the return and then dirty water for a couple seconds and then nothing. After those few seconds everything s fine. Should I be rinsing more often? Any ideas, I've done the deep cleaning.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Does the pump lose prime on it's own? If so, I would tackle that first.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

It does, im trying to correct it now. Any tips for sealing around pvc connections...I'm getting leaks where the pump housing connects to the motor and where the piping threads into the pump. I've tried the thread tape stuff with no luck, I've also used a new o-ring where the pump housing connects to the motor without no luck either.