Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Update from a pool newbie using TFP method.

1. Back To Top    #1

Update from a pool newbie using TFP method.

Hello everyone,

We purchased our house four months ago with my first pool. When I moved in the CYA was over 175, so I did a drain and refill.

Using the advice found here I have spent $25 on chemicals so far, all from the big box store.

Everyone who has visited my house comments on how clean my pool is, they always say something like "oh, that must be a pain to take care of." I tell them with five minutes a day and the knowledge from this site it couldn't be easier.

I plan on contributing to the site as soon as I can afford it, thank you so much to everyone here.

Todays test results:

FC 5
    CC 0
    PH 7.7
    TA 100
    CH 375
    CYA 32
    7000 gallon IG pebble tech (31X7.5 feet) Built 1998.
    Hayward Star Clear Plus C900 cartridge filter with 1 1/4 HP pump.
    TF-100 with speed stir. Liquid chlorinated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Update from a pool newbie using TFP method.

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

We love hearing this...Congratulations on having control!

Fantastic!!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

You just know we gotta have pics of the pool...right? Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

THIS is how it should be!

Bought a house with a pool and ALREADY knew about the test kits and how to use them! SWEET!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome! You're in the right place. I found the site last year and have never been disappointed! BBB all the way!
    13,500 gal, installed 2006, vinyl, 24' round, AG - sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Lower NC

7. Back To Top    #7

Great Job!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

As a fellow newbie I can attest to the information here. Knowledge is power. It has made taking over the pool a pleasure instead of a pain.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome!
    Been using TFP for 3 seasons starting on the 4th. Will NEVER turn back to pool store advice.
    You will hopefully never go even ONE season listening to the pool store advice.
    Glad you found this site and you will never regret it. The help AND the fun posts are better than any social media.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mariane View Post
    Welcome!
    You will hopefully never go even ONE season listening to the pool store advice.
    I didn't make it one month with the pool store!
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Congrats on your accomplishment of keeping a Trouble Free Pool! You really have to give yourself credit. There are many many people that aren't willing to try the TFPC method...they think the pool stores are Gods of water chemistry (snicker). You've managed to not be one of them. Congrats! This site is a wonderful resource, I can't discount that, but you gotta pat yourself on the back too.

Just last weekend I was telling my wife how amazed I was at how little work pool ownership was with the TFPC/BBB method of doing things. After all the horror stories I've seen/heard/read, I'm thrilled with being a pool owner.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

12. Back To Top    #12

I think it's funny how people always assume a pool is really expensive to maintain. A friend of mine was looking at houses and mentioned that one of her criteria was that the house didn't have a pool. I asked why she didn't want a pool and she said because it was too expensive, lol. Keep in mind, she belongs to a swim club and pays $600 per year
    ---
    30,000 gallon vinyl pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump
    AO Smith 1 1/2 HP Pump (27GPM)
    Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

Check out the app I created to control my pool equipment from my smartphone:
    i-created-an-app-to-control-pool-equipment-with-smartphone-t61606-20.html