Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help!!!! Crack in shell.

1. Back To Top    #1

Help!!!! Crack in shell.

Greetings All,

I purchased a home last year with an above ground pool. I ran it one year following the methods of TFP which worked great. Things have finally started to thaw in Minnesota and I started some inspections of the pool. I found a crack in the shell of my above ground pool. I'm hoping you guys might be able to provide some advice on what to do. I did see some ice but I'm not sure if it's from the pool or the last of snow. I'm not sure of the pool age, its an oval above ground that starts at about 3 ft and drops to about 7 or 8 ft. What should I do?2015-03-28 20.38.26.jpg
    Last edited by jfenton78; 03-28-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: trying to add image

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help!!!! Crack in shell.

You need to cart that pool off to the dumpster and purchase a new one.

Do NOT fill that pool.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

doesn't look good, cracks, and any kind of crack will just continue to grow. I think you would have a blow out over time!
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi jfenton78,
    I fixed mine that was WAY worse than what you have...if I get a couple more years out of it I'm happy.
    See my post here:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...nd-skimmer-box

I need to update the post now that it finished and up and running... first swim was March 13th @ 78 degrees.
    Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

5. Back To Top    #5

Supertune, This pool in question is an OVAL pool and needs hauled off to the trash! It is a fact that oval pools and round pools (although both are above ground) are 2 different animals in the way they exert outward pressure on the walls. No amount of repair is resonable nor safe for this OVAL pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Supertune, This pool in question is an OVAL pool and needs hauled off to the trash! It is a fact that oval pools and round pools (although both are above ground) are 2 different animals in the way they exert outward pressure on the walls. No amount of repair is resonable nor safe for this OVAL pool.
    I think that the difference in the way that oval and round pools exert outward pressure also depends on what hemisphere you are in.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by 1380ken View Post
    I think that the difference in the way that oval and round pools exert outward pressure also depends on what hemisphere you are in.
    Really? How does that work? I am beyond curious.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Really?!!!! lol

9. Back To Top    #9

I think that the difference in the way that oval and round pools exert outward pressure also depends on what hemisphere PLANET you are in.
    The poster made a typing mistake. I've upgraded his quote to state what he meant to say....
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm thinking once the poster's location gets filled in it will be Colorado or Oregon!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I'm thinking once the poster's location gets filled in it will be Colorado or Oregon!
    They are in Minnesota.