Heating Intex 9' x 18' above ground pool.

DeeD

Mar 28, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I have had an above-ground frame pool for more than 10 years. (I started with a 10' x 16', and now have a 9' x 18' intex ultra frame pool). Since DAY 1 of that 10+ years, I have been trying to figure out a low-cost/natural way to heat it. I have had a total of 3 (including replacements) Solar Bear solar panels, all of which somehow got holes in them. This past year, I put together a DIY solar panel using coiled black garden hose, but the results were insufficient. I live in Pennsylvania, and the weather was "spotty" - without a lot of sun. I NEED the pool to be extremely warm, or I cannot swim in it. (Average water temperature was between 80 - 85. It needs to be warmer). A hot pool on a hot day does not bother me as much as a cold pool on a hot day.

I have researched "waste heat recaputure" (using the waste heat from your central air unit to heat the pool). The only problem is that 1) it costs well over $1,000, and I am not sure if it is cost-effective (you may need to run the pool the whole time the central air runs); and 2) I have not seen any advertising for anyone who does this LOCALLY.

I am looking to do something that is directly plumbed into the pool pump and filter system, without having to use extra gas or electricity. Any suggestions on how to get the warmest water possible in the most economic way possible would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

Solar is certainly the most cost effective route. There are more durable panels available. They cost a bit more up front, but last longer.

I don't recommend the air conditioning heat recapture system for PA. The availability of heat doesn't usually match up at all well with the times when you need heat. Plus they are complex and expensive and not widely used, so more difficult/expensive to find and to maintain.

They also make a unit that goes in your attic to capture that heat instead of putting the panels on your roof. That unit is kinda expensive if I remember correctly, and the panels would keep that heat from getting in your attic anyway. You can find the panels on eBay for about $160-180 each. You could probably get three panels, fittings, and valves for $700 or so if you do the work yourself. That's what I'm considering doing in the next year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.