LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Every year when the spring rains start, our solid cover collects water and the birds turn it into a Roman bath and toilet. :mad:
Also in the past, ducks swim in the pool whether covered (when there is water in the cover) or uncovered. (Do regular birds swim/float or just ducks?) :lol:
Right now the water is still a huge ice block and temp is not much over freezing but thawing nicely. I assume the weather here will warm up eventually. I could start filling and then running the pump this April till its time for start-up in mid to late May.
Looking for people's opinions: leave cover on and have a terrible time cleaning bird dodo off, or uncover and skim wind-blown stuff out of the water till start-up in May?

Last edited:
I would leave the cover on for now and get an automatic cover pump so it doesn't stay full of water.

I like to open a little earlier than May, but not this early. A good rule of thumb is to open around the time the water gets to 50 degrees.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.