Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: uncover or leave covered dilemma

1. Back To Top    #1

uncover or leave covered dilemma

Every year when the spring rains start, our solid cover collects water and the birds turn it into a Roman bath and toilet.
    Also in the past, ducks swim in the pool whether covered (when there is water in the cover) or uncovered. (Do regular birds swim/float or just ducks?)
    Right now the water is still a huge ice block and temp is not much over freezing but thawing nicely. I assume the weather here will warm up eventually. I could start filling and then running the pump this April till its time for start-up in mid to late May.
    Looking for people's opinions: leave cover on and have a terrible time cleaning bird dodo off, or uncover and skim wind-blown stuff out of the water till start-up in May?
    Last edited by mariane; 03-28-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typo
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: uncover or leave covered dilemma

I would leave the cover on for now and get an automatic cover pump so it doesn't stay full of water.

I like to open a little earlier than May, but not this early. A good rule of thumb is to open around the time the water gets to 50 degrees.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. Here it might take a long time. Just had snow yesterday and 18 degrees last night.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

4. Back To Top    #4

The ice on the cover is removed and empty of water. That is till the rain starts. I hope the birds don't retaliate since the Roman Spa is closed.