Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to add more sodium bromide

1. Back To Top    #1
    Phoenix, AZ

Need to add more sodium bromide

My 425 gallon tubs needs about 2.5 ounces of sodium bromide at startup. I only have 0.8oz right now and I'm unable to get to the store. I do have Leisure Time bromo tabs, and if I understand correctly, I can use those to help with my bromide reserve, it'll just take a little bit to convert. Any idea how many tabs I can crush and throw into the water? Thanks
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Need to add more sodium bromide

You could just add some tabs to a floater and maintain bromine levels with that for about a week or so, depending on usage. After 2-3 tablets have fully dissolved, you'd have a sufficient bromide reserve, assuming it is BCDMH (Bromochloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin) based tablets. If you don't have an ozonator, you'd likely not have to intentionally add any more tablets or bromide until you drain and refill. If you have an ozonator, bromide is slowly broken down and you may have to add more over time. There is no direct way to measure bromide from what I know and if you shock with bleach, you can't tell if you're measuring free bromine or free chlorine if the bromide bank is exhausted.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Need to add more sodium bromide

There's a rather complicated way to determine the bromide bank by using ammonia, forming bromamine, and using an ammonia test kit (which explicitly tests for monochloramine), but it's not worth describing in detail.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"