New Pool Build Questions

If this evening doesn't go smoothly I may be buying some Disney tickets (FL Resident Rate;)) and driving to Orlando to pick you up at the airport. Bringing you to my house to do the pool first, though. LOL. My yard is not horribly unlevel but it isn't completely flat either, so I will be doing some digging tonight.

That looks really good. I like the way you cut and wrapped your foam, I wish I would have done something like that. I am dealing with shredded tarp corners and a lot of chewed up foam in the yard. I would not use the foam again unless it was going on concrete but if THAT ever happens I know to cut and wrap!

The pool received a new friend today, Pool Rover Jr.

- - - Updated - - -

The Rover in action ...

- - - Updated - - -

I cleaned the Hayward C550 filter cartridge for the first time since the original install. The pressure gauge had gone from initial 9.5 up to 14 and the flow had declined. The filter was dirty but only needed to be washed off with a high pressure garden hose (IMO), re-installed the filter and greased the O-rings and now the filter is reading 9 PSI. Either I cleaned it really well or something I was surprised to see the Filter go from 9.5 initial to 9.0 after cleaning?

Well the pool rover stopped working, So I replaced the pool rover with a Dolphin unit. I went with the Dolphin because it had a scrubber on the front. Sadly the Dolphin does not work as well because the spinning scrubber on the front of the unit moves the dirt before the vacuum sucks it up. I miss my rover ….

I purchased a Liquidator a few years back. I know some have had problems with the unit but I have had NONE! I love it. I use soft water from my water softener in the pool and that might be the secret sauce to the build up issue. When I remodeled my house in 2000 I set up a hose bib with water from my water softener so that when I wash our cars, we don't get the water spots. Fast forward a few years and it is the closest hose to my pool which means soft water for the pool. My water hardness test never get above 25. The pool is on it's 4th season and still doing well. The pool is about as maintenance free as I can make it but I still test daily with my TF 100 test kit which was the best investment I made and being involved on this website!

Well the pool rover stopped working, So I replaced the pool rover with a Dolphin unit. I went with the Dolphin because it had a scrubber on the front. Sadly the Dolphin does not work as well because the spinning scrubber on the front of the unit moves the dirt before the vacuum sucks it up. I miss my rover ….
My rover is definitely losing it's steam :( Sometimes I'll put it in, it will run for 15 minutes then quit. Other times it keeps running, but definitely not as powerful as it was. I have a couple of unfortunate humps in the pool and it gets stuck on them now. I got mine in the summer of 15 too. Since I've installed the new pump and filter this year I'm thinking of going with a Hayward bug or whale possibly when the rover goes to pool heaven. I just need something to pick up the dirt at the bottom of the pool.

I have used the rechargeable pool vac allot lately to get all the fine dirt. I have the Dolphin running now and it does a good job unless there is dirt in the pool then the scrubbing brushes move the dirt before the vacuum can pick the dirt up. On year 2 I installed a hayward skimmer which was has been great. When I installed this pool, I installed the pool with the hayward pump in the pool build. I had enough of the stock intex pumps when I bought this pool so adding the hayward skimmer was easy and made the whole system better. I do not have any ripples in the bottom of the pool. The foam sheets really made for a smooth and soft bottom. I think the foam sheets even help insulate the pool a little bit as well.

When I installed the Hayward Skimmer I ended up having the 2 original intex outlet and inlet remaining in the pool. I purchased the Intex multi color LED pool fountain. I still had my original Intex pool pump and hoses. I had the unit installed in about 30 mins and now have a pool fountain which can help with PH issues when they arise. The fountain works great but sadly they are difficult to find anymore. I purchased a couple of them 3 years ago and I am glad I did. I keep the last one new in the box in my shed in case I need it …

We're in Concord and are on well water for the pool and irrigation. Our water is stupid hard and have to use a lot of acid to keep the PH down. I think a fountain would raise the PH to much :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.