Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: skimmer to pump issue ????? help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

skimmer to pump issue ????? help!!

My skimmer drains and begins to suck air whenever I have my pump on high. It runs fine on low but I am concerned because I am wanting to slam and then utilize the SWG and from time to time I will need to put it on high to go to 100%. I have changed out to a new filter because the other one needed a deep cleaning. I have cleaned it and am planning on storing it in a plastic bag and then alternate between the two, will this be a problem? Also any suggestions on the pump draining the skimmer is appreciated, thank you. Oops one more question..... I tried the skimmer sock and my husband was concerned that it might be part of the problem so he had me remove it, can anyone give me more info on the skimmer sock?
    21x42, 23000K AG ClearwaterII Cartridge Waterway 2HP 2 speed July 2014 TF-100 SWG aquarite with Tcell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: skimmer to pump issue ????? help!!

So, if you have good flow into the skimmer, it does it without a sock on it? Unless they are clogged, socks work fine.

If you do it sounds like you have too much pump. Is this a new pump on the pool? You mentioned another filter, but what about the pump?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

The entire pool is less than a year old. It was initiated last July we don't remember it doing it last year however it is a 2HP pump
    21x42, 23000K AG ClearwaterII Cartridge Waterway 2HP 2 speed July 2014 TF-100 SWG aquarite with Tcell

4. Back To Top    #4

How high up is the pool water level on the skimmer face? Should at least be halfway and you can 3/4 and see if that helps any.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

It is half way and I have thought that adding water to make it about 3/4 up. Do I need to have my pump on high to run the SWG at 100%? The instructions say so but why?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Do you only have the one skimmer ? Is there a floor drain ? If have more than the one skimmer can you adjust to pull some water from another source too ?

I was looking at a Doughboy AGP about the same size and it has a floor drain and dual skimmers with a 2 HP pump.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Your SWG is looking for a certain amount of gallons per minute----flow rate---to run through it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

I only have the one skimmer it is a wide mouth and no drain. Any ideas how I would "pull water from another source"?

9. Back To Top    #9

There are two possible causes. Either the pool water level is too low, which seems unlikely given what you said, or the weir door (swinging door inside the skimmer) is stuck so that it doesn't move properly and is blocking the water flow.

Check the weir door and make sure it moves freely and there isn't any debris blocking the skimmer. If that doesn't help, try adding more water to the pool so that the water is 3/4 of the way up the skimmer opening.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

You'd need to add a drain or an additional skimmer so you aren't taking all the water from the one skimmer. Not real practical but it is something you could do should you need to drain it in the future.
    It does seem like a lot of surface area for one skimmer, just my opinion.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

11. Back To Top    #11

I agree about the surface area of the pool versus one skimmer. How would a drain help? As for the weir door yes it is free flowing. We have talked about adding another skimmer and is something we could do if that would help.

12. Back To Top    #12

Something strange is going on here. Any common skimmer should be able to handle a very high water flow without much trouble. How large is your pump?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

LOL leave it to me to have a weird one! I have a waterway cartridge filter with a waterway hi-flo 2hp 2 speed pump and a widemouth waterway skimmer. I have replaced the filter and am not using the "skimmer sock" so as to not reduce flow. It runs fine on low. if I release air from the filter on low there is none. But if I place it on high it will drain the skimmer and then hesitate and allow the skimmer to catch up and then does it again resulting in a pulsating type action. It is all hard plumbed. After just a few minutes if you release the air in the filter it has a huge amount????? Please help if you have any ideas I am filling it to 3/4 of the skimmer now and will recheck.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

What he said. We know it's 2hp but can you post the pumps specs or it's model number ??

If you had a drain you could use a valve or valves to control how much water you pull from each. Like both full open or or the second source (second skimmer or drain) open just enough that the main skimmer doesn't suck air.

Can you post a picture or two of the skimmer ??

15. Back To Top    #15

I will try I have never uploaded photos.IMG_1486.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

pumpIMG_1487.jpg

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Just a wild guess but your water looks too low. Bring it up to those two black dots on either side and see if that doesn't cure the issue.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

I am adding water now

18. Back To Top    #18

For everyone following this thank you and yes I think additional water is going to fix it. In order for those "black spots" to be covered that is about 3/4 full but it seems to be able to keep up. So thank you!!!!! One last question does the drain go thru the pump?