Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA - 200, is this why my pH seems to creep quickly?

1. Back To Top    #1

TA - 200, is this why my pH seems to creep quickly?

So now that I have my pool manageable, still have to epoxy a leak so I am re-filling about 1/2" every 3-4 days (waiting for the pool to warm up lol) but currently while I top up ect, I can keep my CYA ~ 30 and my FC ~ 4 but my pH continuously skyrockets to well over 8.0 every few days, which to me seems a little absurd... When I started this whole process and had my water tested originally it was 100, than 165 and now testing it myself it's 200, I don't feel like replacing water works because I've been replacing water constantly over the last month so if the TA of the water coming out of my tap is clearly high (unless I'm missing something?) How else do you reduce it, or do I need to?
    18.2K Gallon , IG(In Door) , Vinyl , 300lb Sand Filter, Waterway PF-40-2N22M Pump, Emerson R63MWENA-4727 Motor.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA - 200, is this why my pH seems to creep quickly?

Well, you're on the right track for sure. Minus you putting something in that could increase your TA, it's coming from your tap. Test it and see.

I have the same issue with high TA makeup to my pool. Not much you can do about that if you're in the same boat. What you can do is lower it some, and work to keep it down. In Pool School, there is an article about lowering TA. Outside of a new makeup source there isn't anything else you can do. Pushing your TA down to the 60 range takes time, but getting and keeping it close to that as possible, will slow your pH rise.

The article I mention is in the How To Section of PS >Lowering Total Alkalinity.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

For aerating, I have a water slide, it's not anything crazy but it will crack the surface.. Would that be enough to consider or would I be better to make one of these contraptions?
    18.2K Gallon , IG(In Door) , Vinyl , 300lb Sand Filter, Waterway PF-40-2N22M Pump, Emerson R63MWENA-4727 Motor.

4. Back To Top    #4

When TA is high, even a little aeration will be plenty. Later on you can either be patient and let it take a long time, or you can provide lots of aeration (more than a slide is likely to provide).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School