Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Staining on Bottom after Repairs

1. Back To Top    #1

Staining on Bottom after Repairs

My skimmer cracked around the New Year and I began losing water rapidly. PB gave me a quote to remove and replace skimmer. I decided to add a vac port, autofill and some water features while we had the yard torn up.

Pool was drained, repairs and additions were made, and pool was refilled within 3 days. There was a fair bit of sand and soil that blew into the pool and collected on the bottom. PB promised to vacuum it out. 2 weeks passed before it was vacuumed. After vac'ing it out there was staining left behind the following the material build up line.

PB thought it was BA. No. Now they have started No Drain Acid Wash. Took out my cleaner and left the pump running 8 hours a day. No change what so ever. They are coming by everyother day to check pH. They are not brushing. I started brushing today. Should I be using a SS brush?

pH below 6.8
    FC 5.0
    TC. 5.5
    TA 0
    1980 vintage, 22K gal, IG plaster, 1.5 hp pump, 175 sqft cartridge filter, iPure SWG, 180 sqft solar heater, Sand Shark Pool Vac, Pool School, TF100 Test Kit, Easytouch 8 (custom expanded valve controllers), 4x MagicStream Laminars, Intellibrite 5g.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Staining on Bottom after Repairs

You shouldn't use a SS brush on new Plaster if that's what you mean. I hate being pessimistic, but soil stains are very stubborn sometimes. That should have bee vacuumed out immediately. That's unfortunate, but perhaps what they are doing now will help. Seems to be in their hands. Sorry I don't have a better answer.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    You shouldn't use a SS brush on new Plaster if that's what you mean. I hate being pessimistic, but soil stains are very stubborn sometimes. That should have bee vacuumed out immediately. That's unfortunate, but perhaps what they are doing now will help. Seems to be in their hands. Sorry I don't have a better answer.
    The plaster is at least 10 years old. I grabbed a 5 inch ss brush. It does seem to help, but I don't see if providing a cure.

PB offered to drain, acid wash, and refill on his dime.

I will post results.
    1980 vintage, 22K gal, IG plaster, 1.5 hp pump, 175 sqft cartridge filter, iPure SWG, 180 sqft solar heater, Sand Shark Pool Vac, Pool School, TF100 Test Kit, Easytouch 8 (custom expanded valve controllers), 4x MagicStream Laminars, Intellibrite 5g.

4. Back To Top    #4

Update:

PB's General Manager decided not to drain and acid wash and left the No Drain Acid Approach in place for the last three weeks, while I have been out of town. No difference in staining. The brand new Intellibrite trim ring is completely discolored now. The pump is making a **** of a racket. No telling if the SWG cell has been affected. The pool is full of dead frogs and leaves.

This looks like it might get ugly...

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I think I would take matters into my own hands and start to clean that pool. Dead frogs and leaves this late in the season is not a good thing. You are going to have to be proactive or your pool will not get cleaned up.

First things first, can you post a set of test results? Are you chlorinating? With what?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School