Polaris Gets Stuck at Wall Connection - How to Fix?

Mar 27, 2015
Houston/TX
Sorry if I missed the answer here somewhere but after installing a new replacement Polaris 280 it seems to get stuck at the wall connection every hour or two. My wall connection is just several inches above a shallow pool seat and the Polaris seems to come back to the wall connection and get stuck more frequently than it did previously. I have had a few 280s of the years and they were all less prone to getting stuck at the wall connection so I'm thinking there might be an adjustment I could make on the new Polaris 280 or it's hose? Thanks!

Did you replace the feed hose as well? I replaced mine, and since it comes coiled up it kept trying to coil back on itself, pulling the polaris back towards the cleaning port. I left the polaris off for a couple days in the sun with the hose stretched out straight across the pool, and that seems to have fixed it.

If that's not the problem, you might try adjusting the rear jet on the polaris. Normally it should be pointing straight back. Watch the polaris and see if it travels in a roughly straight line, or if it's always turning left or right. If it does seem to be constantly turning, adjust the rear jet to compensate.

Thanks, I did replace the hose - so maybe it needs the sunbathing approach. (The rear jet is in the standard/straight back/neutral position.)

Any thoughts on whether the location of the back up value could impact anything (it's currently about 6 feet in back of the Polaris). Or maybe the Polaris tail needs to be a certain length?

Thanks again

6 feet back sounds fine for the backup valve - mine is about the same distance. Also, the tail length isn't designed to be adjusted, but the pressure however is. There's a stainless screw at the base of the tail that adjusts tail pressure - tighten to decrease pressure, loosen to increase. The tail should just gently sweep back and forth, and shouldn't be affecting the polaris' direction unless it's wedged up against a step or something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.