Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: clogged skimmer line

1. Back To Top    #1

Irmo, SC

clogged skimmer line

We started having trouble with our pool and called a repair person. She said the pump wasn't priming at all and we needed to replace it. After she replaced it, she discovered that the skimmmer line was also clogged. She tried to unclog it (I think with a hose) and couldn't get it. She didn't have any muriatic acid, but gave me some instructions to use if I wanted to get some and try it myself so it wouldn't be another service call. Anyway, she said to pour the muriatic acid down a pipe she had attached to the suction line inside the skimmer area. She said to do this with the pump off and then turn it on and backwash. I did, and there is still a lot of air in the line, so the clog is still there. Before I get more muriatic acid, I thought I'd see if anybody has advice on here to unclog it.
    12500; sand; IG; vinyl; Tf-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: clogged skimmer line

Never had to that before, but I think the first thing I would try is a plumber's snake.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Forget the acid, that like a horrible idea

Try a drain king from the pump back toward to skimmer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

You can try a shop vac set to suck water and try to seal the hose over the opening in the bottom of the skimmer and try to suck it back out.

Using a snake might be the best way. No clue why she would have suggested muratic acid.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!