Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1972 Inground Gunite Pool Remodel (Pictures)

1. Back To Top    #1

1972 Inground Gunite Pool Remodel (Pictures)

We are remodeling our built in 1972 inground pool. It still had the original tile that was chipped and patched in lots of places and some of the concrete coping was broken or cracked. Also was due for a replaster, so we decided to add some flagstone coping, a couple of waterfall features, have some thinstone placed on the back retaining wall. Since, the pool never had a cover, (I'm assuming because of the back wall) we are having one made as well. Just re-kool decking the rest of patio area to save some money after all of the other expenses. Here are some photos of the pool before work started, and its current state. I'll update as progress continues.

Before:

After initial demo:

Here is the new lines being run for water features:

Here is the cutout for coping edge:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1972 Inground Gunite Pool Remodel (Pictures)

Welcome to TFP H2o!!

My favorite threads are Reno's, so I'm glad you posted. Great pics BTW. When you have a moment, add your specs to you're sig line. Keep us updated. It ought to be a good one!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you're well underway!

I can't wait to see where you go with this.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

4. Back To Top    #4

That is a good looking old pool. Can't wait to see the updates.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Sweet, wish I had the time and the cash to do that, stuck with a lowly above ground
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube

6. Back To Top    #6

So they started the tile today...... Here are some pics:

7. Back To Top    #7

Lookin good!!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

what sort of tile is that? any close ups? looks like solid progress!
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm not sure exactly what kind of tile it is. It's pool tile, was a sample that was in with others we looked at. Something my wife picked out to blend the rock and everything together. Pool builder says he's never had anyone put that color tile in before. I guess I'm committed now!
    1972 - 22,500 gallon, In-ground Kidney shape Gunite pool built by Fiesta pools (2015 remodel), Sta-Rite sand filter Model 9462404 side mount ( Triton II TR60 is newer Equivalent), 3.1 sq ft., Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Leslies Coppertherm (Raypak) PL 260AEN 260,00 BTU Heater, Anchor Defender Mesh Safety Cover, Taylor K2006 test kit, Dolphin Z5 Robotic Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

Came home today and they had finished the tile, and cut out the slots for the water features and removed (most of) the steps. My wife was freaking out because it looks terrible (the water feature cutouts). I assured her that when its done all will be well. BTW, I'll add my pool info to my sig, when its done. Still haven't ordered my new pump. I've got my eye on a Pentair Intelliflo though. Heres a few more pics:

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
    what sort of tile is that? any close ups? looks like solid progress!
    Here are some closeups of the tile. We actually still have the sample.

12. Back To Top    #12

I really, really like that tile!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by corporate_zombie View Post
    I really, really like that tile!
    Yah, at first I wasn't sure about it. My wife picked it out (she's good with stuff like that). But now that its in I really like it.

14. Back To Top    #14

What color plaster/pebble are you going with? Love the tile!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for posting. It is looking great! I am about to start a similar project. Did the pool contractor mention why he installed the tile before the coping? From what I have read, it seems like the coping is usually installed first. I will be matching an existing deck height like you, so wondering if that may have something to do with it. Thanks.

16. Back To Top    #16

Our tile was first. I think it usually is first because it needs to be set level, then coping is installed to the corresponding height.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

Normally don't like brown pool tile(really only has a little brown in it) but i really like your tile. One thing is if this pool has held up from 1972, your are working with a quality built pool. With some updates and added features you are going to have a great old/new pool.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    What color plaster/pebble are you going with? Love the tile!
    Thanks! We are going with a grey plaster. Pool guy called it a lagoon finish. Wanted to go with pebble for extra longevity, but I already had enough money sunk into it. I figured I could do pebble next time replaster is due, since everything else will be done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cwmoody View Post
    Thanks for posting. It is looking great! I am about to start a similar project. Did the pool contractor mention why he installed the tile before the coping? From what I have read, it seems like the coping is usually installed first. I will be matching an existing deck height like you, so wondering if that may have something to do with it. Thanks.
    Pool guy said they go from ground up (with exception of plaster, which is last). So next should be the coping and then the wall on back will be rocked. May be a delay on construction though, he said they had to have some flagstone shipped in from Tenessee. I guess local quarry ran out of their supply.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jojoman View Post
    Normally don't like brown pool tile(really only has a little brown in it) but i really like your tile. One thing is if this pool has held up from 1972, your are working with a quality built pool. With some updates and added features you are going to have a great old/new pool.
    I myself wasn't to excited about the tile, but we are going with an eastern Oklahoma sandstone that has yellows and browns in it for the back wall, (trying to match as well as we could the rock on our house). My wife, (notice I'm giving her all the credit here) wanted a tile to help blend the rock and pool plaster together.

19. Back To Top    #19

If I may give you a warning...I got some stone from OK on my deck. Look it over very carefully before you choose it. If it appears to flake or has any appearance of obvious layering that could come apart, look for something else with nothing like that showing. I will be replacing some pieces someday, and it sheds and presents new layers that flake off all the time.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

20. Back To Top    #20

Yes, the flagstone we chose we were warned that there was a possibility it could flake, also told we would need to seal it every year. But it was the best choice to go with the other rocks and colors. As far as the rock on the wall, which is actually Oklahoma stone, the guy at the quarry was trying to move us another direction because the stuff was so hard it was difficult to cut. I guess their saws had a rough time with it. I'm more concerned about the flagstone than I am the other stuff.
    1972 - 22,500 gallon, In-ground Kidney shape Gunite pool built by Fiesta pools (2015 remodel), Sta-Rite sand filter Model 9462404 side mount ( Triton II TR60 is newer Equivalent), 3.1 sq ft., Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Leslies Coppertherm (Raypak) PL 260AEN 260,00 BTU Heater, Anchor Defender Mesh Safety Cover, Taylor K2006 test kit, Dolphin Z5 Robotic Cleaner

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast