1972 Inground Gunite Pool Remodel (Pictures)

Mar 26, 2015
Tulsa/Oklahoma
We are remodeling our built in 1972 inground pool. It still had the original tile that was chipped and patched in lots of places and some of the concrete coping was broken or cracked. Also was due for a replaster, so we decided to add some flagstone coping, a couple of waterfall features, have some thinstone placed on the back retaining wall. Since, the pool never had a cover, (I'm assuming because of the back wall) we are having one made as well. Just re-kool decking the rest of patio area to save some money after all of the other expenses. Here are some photos of the pool before work started, and its current state. I'll update as progress continues.

Before:

After initial demo:

Here is the new lines being run for water features:

Here is the cutout for coping edge:

Welcome to TFP H2o!!

My favorite threads are Reno's, so I'm glad you posted. Great pics BTW. When you have a moment, add your specs to you're sig line. Keep us updated. It ought to be a good one! :goodjob:

I'm not sure exactly what kind of tile it is. It's pool tile, was a sample that was in with others we looked at. Something my wife picked out to blend the rock and everything together. Pool builder says he's never had anyone put that color tile in before. I guess I'm committed now!

Came home today and they had finished the tile, and cut out the slots for the water features and removed (most of) the steps. My wife was freaking out because it looks terrible (the water feature cutouts). I assured her that when its done all will be well. BTW, I'll add my pool info to my sig, when its done. Still haven't ordered my new pump. I've got my eye on a Pentair Intelliflo though. Heres a few more pics:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What color plaster/pebble are you going with? Love the tile!

Thanks for posting. It is looking great! I am about to start a similar project. Did the pool contractor mention why he installed the tile before the coping? From what I have read, it seems like the coping is usually installed first. I will be matching an existing deck height like you, so wondering if that may have something to do with it. Thanks.

Normally don't like brown pool tile(really only has a little brown in it) but i really like your tile. One thing is if this pool has held up from 1972, your are working with a quality built pool. With some updates and added features you are going to have a great old/new pool.

What color plaster/pebble are you going with? Love the tile!
Thanks! We are going with a grey plaster. Pool guy called it a lagoon finish. Wanted to go with pebble for extra longevity, but I already had enough money sunk into it. I figured I could do pebble next time replaster is due, since everything else will be done.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for posting. It is looking great! I am about to start a similar project. Did the pool contractor mention why he installed the tile before the coping? From what I have read, it seems like the coping is usually installed first. I will be matching an existing deck height like you, so wondering if that may have something to do with it. Thanks.
Pool guy said they go from ground up (with exception of plaster, which is last). So next should be the coping and then the wall on back will be rocked. May be a delay on construction though, he said they had to have some flagstone shipped in from Tenessee. I guess local quarry ran out of their supply.

- - - Updated - - -

Normally don't like brown pool tile(really only has a little brown in it) but i really like your tile. One thing is if this pool has held up from 1972, your are working with a quality built pool. With some updates and added features you are going to have a great old/new pool.
I myself wasn't to excited about the tile, but we are going with an eastern Oklahoma sandstone that has yellows and browns in it for the back wall, (trying to match as well as we could the rock on our house). My wife, (notice I'm giving her all the credit here) wanted a tile to help blend the rock and pool plaster together.

If I may give you a warning...I got some stone from OK on my deck. Look it over very carefully before you choose it. If it appears to flake or has any appearance of obvious layering that could come apart, look for something else with nothing like that showing. I will be replacing some pieces someday, and it sheds and presents new layers that flake off all the time.

Yes, the flagstone we chose we were warned that there was a possibility it could flake, also told we would need to seal it every year. But it was the best choice to go with the other rocks and colors. As far as the rock on the wall, which is actually Oklahoma stone, the guy at the quarry was trying to move us another direction because the stuff was so hard it was difficult to cut. I guess their saws had a rough time with it. I'm more concerned about the flagstone than I am the other stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.