Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why is my ph always high?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why is my ph always high?

Is there something wrong with my chemical balance? All chemicals are in range but for some reason I am always having to add acid to lower my ph. I use almost a half gallon a week. Everything else stays fine. But like I said I'm averaging 1-2 cups a day of acid. Is this normal beacause of the swg?

Any in put would be appreciated
    Thanks Todd.
    15,000 gal. In ground, sand textured with beach area, spa located in beach area with spillover equal to pool level.Rock waterfall with 4 foot drop.Hayward goldline aquaplus automation all wireless remote.T 15 cell,Propane heater,Super 2 for pool/spa,Super 2 for waterfall.Cartridge filter and solar panels.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why is my ph always high?

That is very normal and it happens faster in newer pools. Still, your makeup water probably has higher pH & total alkalinity (TA), so this plays a large role in pH rise.

Other factors like the SWG do contribute as well, but this is the basic reason. As the TA works down, the rise will slow, but you have to work on it to reduce the TA. There is an article in Pool School on how to do that. Having it lower in a salt pool is a prudent thing to do, largely for the reason you inquire about.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Post your full test results and we will see if anything can be adjusted to reduce the acid usage.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it a new pool or a replastered pool, both can rise ph for about a year or so. From what i read the SWG can slowly rise ph too. I'm in the same boat, with 1/2 gallon of acid every week but down from a gallon a week after pool pool was finished back in September. Also, are you using a good test kit to get your readings? I found test strips were okay at ph reading but a good test kit will pen it down better.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Also, running waterfalls, spillovers, laminar jets, etc will increase your ph.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Also, running waterfalls, spillovers, laminar jets, etc will increase your ph.
    I see the OP signature says 4 FOOT DROP on waterfall. cool! but you might be getting a TINY bit of aeration off that sucker.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Post your full test results and we will see if anything can be adjusted to reduce the acid usage.
    Fc 4
    Cc .5
    Ta 75
    Ch 330
    Ph 8.2
    Cya 65
    Hardly ever run waterfall, spillover on spa is 1 inch, only spilling over 4 hours a day when pump is running and its a smooth transaction.

Not re plastered, pool is approx. 8 years old. SWG on 40%
    Thanks Todd.
    15,000 gal. In ground, sand textured with beach area, spa located in beach area with spillover equal to pool level.Rock waterfall with 4 foot drop.Hayward goldline aquaplus automation all wireless remote.T 15 cell,Propane heater,Super 2 for pool/spa,Super 2 for waterfall.Cartridge filter and solar panels.

8. Back To Top    #8

Letting the TA go down to 60 will certainly help as would running the spillover less of the time. If that isn't enough, adding borates and lowering the TA a little further should do it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

My pool has an auto doser for the acid which keeps the PH pretty well exactly at 7.4. This is connected to a 15l (4 Gallon) drum which lasts about 8 weeks - so I am using the same amount. I also have a SWG and the pool is only small (8000 gallons).
    32,000 litre in-ground painted concrete pool
    Zodiac Tri-Mid +ph SWG
    Solar pool heating
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    In Sydney, Australia