Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae

New pool owner trying to figure out how I got algae in my pool. I do have the TF-100 test kit. My numbers: Chlorine 1, PH 7.2, FC 12.5, CC 3, CH 175, TA 130, CYA 0. 15,700 gallon pool, temp is 78. Does it need slamming?What should I do?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae

If you let FC get too low, that would allow algae to gain a foothold. Could have been transferred by a dirty cover, toys, etc.

No matter how it got there, if you see algae, you need to SLAM it. CC >0.5 also is an indication you need to SLAM.

How come your CYA is at zero?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

I really don't know why the CYA is at zero. Just added about 2 lbs of stabilizer in a sock and put it in the skimmer. A little confused about the Chlorine /CYA chart. How do I read the last column? How many gallons of bleach do I need to add?

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Dave!

There is one way, and only one way you get Algae. Improper/lack of free Chlorine. It is truly that simple.

You'll need to SLAM your pool now, and the link for how to do that is in my signature line. In your sig line, please add your pool info so that we can help you. Not knowing your pool size, no one can say how much Chlorine you need. That said, it would be good for you to spend some more time in Pool School. Start with the ABCs and work up from there. This is the most important thing you can do for the long haul and up front.

Your Cya has not had time to dissolve and disperse throughout the pool yet.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

CYA can take up to a week to show up. So don't over do it by throwing more in unless it has been more than a week from last time.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Hi Dave!

There is one way, and only one way you get Algae. Improper/lack of free Chlorine. It is truly that simple.

You'll need to SLAM your pool now, and the link for how to do that is in my signature line. In your sig line, please add your pool info so that we can help you. Not knowing your pool size, no one can say how much Chlorine you need. That said, it would be good for you to spend some more time in Pool School. Start with the ABCs and work up from there. This is the most important thing you can do for the long haul and up front.

Your Cya has not had time to dissolve and disperse throughout the pool yet.
    How do I add my pool info to my signature line? Thanks !

7. Back To Top    #7

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...efore-you-post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    I think I found it.
    18X33 Sharkline Morada Pool 15,700 gallons, Pentair Sand Dollar Filter SD-60, 1.5HP Hayward Pump, AquaLuminator Light, Solar Blanket & Reel and two 4' by 20' Solar Panels. TF-100.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2590 View Post
    I think I found it.
    yep good to go!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Pooldv!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jojoman View Post
    CYA can take up to a week to show up. So don't over do it by throwing more in unless it has been more than a week from last time.
    I started at zero and Pool Math told me to add 84 oz by weight of stabilizer. Thats alot !
    18X33 Sharkline Morada Pool 15,700 gallons, Pentair Sand Dollar Filter SD-60, 1.5HP Hayward Pump, AquaLuminator Light, Solar Blanket & Reel and two 4' by 20' Solar Panels. TF-100.

12. Back To Top    #12

Just five pounds. Not really that much.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok good, thanks Patrick. But I'm still not sure how much chlorine I need to add now. I did add 2 gallons of bleach. Is that enough given my numbers?

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

From using pool math, 15,700 and 84oz of stabilizer would put you at 40 so use 40 for your CYA presently and don't bother to retest for a week. If there's still stabilizer in that sock you can knead it and it will dissolve quicker. You want to wait until it's all dissolved from the sock and then a week to retest.

With algae you'll need to SLAM and you want to maintain the FC at 16 as best you can. Test and add often as letting it fall and bringing it back up doesn't work as well as maintaining it.
    You need to use Pool Math at the top of every page to figure out the correct amount of chlorine to add. You need to know the strength of the chlorine you're adding.

If you were at zero FC you would have needed to add a little over 5gals of 6% to reach that 16ppm FC level you need to maintain.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Once you get the algae gone and have completed the SLAM you will need to hold a minimum of 3 and should try to maintain 5ppm FC if you keep the CYA at 40. Below 3ppm and you run the risk of the algae coming back.

When doing the SLAM remember to brush the pool often and scrub anything in the pool. Take the ladder out and scrub it. Check behind the skimmer door for "green".
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2590 View Post
    Ok good, thanks Patrick. But I'm still not sure how much chlorine I need to add now. I did add 2 gallons of bleach. Is that enough given my numbers?
    No, go ahead with two more, and test tonight. It's a little bit much, but it will be down before long if you are pretty green. Make sure you get another test and addition made before bed if you need it. If this was my pool, this is exactly what I would do.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

17. Back To Top    #17

Dave, have you tried Pool Math in the link up at the top of the forum? It will tell your dosage needs. If you have a question on it, post back and we can help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

PoolMath, link in upper left of each page. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes I've tried Pool Math. Didn't see these last few posts yesterday so I only put the two gallons of bleach in and the stabilizer is in process in the skimmer so the CYA will come up over the next week.. Since the CYA is near zero I think the 2 gallons was enough yesterday. Will test again this morning. Pool Math is telling me to add 71oz of Borax and 198 oz of calcium chloride. Had rain yesterday and cold front came through last night. 49 degrees now so pool water temp has dropped some. Water is still pretty clear. There is not alot of algae so maybe I'm getting it early.

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks guys. Forgot to mention FC was at 16 last night. I will keep it there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast