old house and pool, needs some work...

Jan 29, 2015
Yorktown, VA
So I recently bought a house that has an inground Heldor pool built in the 80's and needs some work. From what I understand, a few years ago, a large branch from a tree fell onto the corner of the pool and broke the aluminum coping (and bent the top of the wall a bit) and the concrete around it. The previous home owners tore up the surrounding concrete, threw the broken coping away and just left the pool as-is. My wife and I want to fix it to enjoy the pool. It also needs a new liner, but I have to replace the broken coping and concrete.

Problem is, I cannot find matching coping anywhere. I have asked a local pool guy and he tells me that it is a Heldor universal coping that isn't made anymore. He gave me a sample of Cinderella CP-8 deck mount coping to see if it would fit. Its the right shape, but the height and width are off a few inches (see pics). I can put in the Cinderella product, but it doesn't match and I'll have a trip hazard in that corner. I'd really hate to have to replace all the pool coping because that would be very expensive (cutting all the concrete, replacing all the coping and pouring new concrete).

I'm hoping someone can help me find an exact match. I've been searching the Internet for days with no luck. If you or someone you know had this type of coping and has some left over from a re-do or just wants new coping and is looking to get rid of the old, please let me know! I'm willing to pay top dollar for a match.

This is a picture of the coping

82FD3560-AF9B-4B74-9268-0290A7673A8B_zpslqa7jk1o.jpg

The next 3 pictures are of the "replacement" Cinderella coping sitting next to the existing coping. As you can see, they have the same shape, but the height and width are way off...

9C9DB68D-541A-4F78-9C72-7790409DE6BB_zps3xr5lkgh.jpg

498758B2-686A-42C7-899D-5DFBB6A7809D_zpsf5byqwjw.jpg

F73365EE-DE2B-42EB-9D59-401018BC7DA9_zpsyfxh3zip.jpg

How many feet of coping do you need?

I can only offer my idea of fabricating from aluminum sheetmetal if you can't find the original. I'm in Chesapeake, VA. I've been doing custom sheetmetal work for 30 years. It is possible to recreate that profile.

There's a roofing company in Hampton that might be able to fabricate a copy. They have some fancy computerized metal brakes. The name is Creasy And Whiteed.

Curious how this worked out. Looks like the missing coping also supported the vinyl liner. Were you ever able to find replacement coping and to get the vinyl liner back into the coping?

Yea user "without" definitely helped me out...big thanks to him. He had coping that was a very close but not perfect match and sent me some. I haven't got it installed just yet...I've run into another small situation. He sent me a couple straight sections and a corner section. The corner section is made of of 3 pieces cut on a 45 deg angle...he says its called a "cut corner". My corners are actually 4 pieces cut on a smaller angle and apparently its called a "rounded corner"?
My existing corner looks like this:

88E494D2-9E24-429C-8682-5EC30C8AC948_zpsuv6gmlg7.jpg

CB000BA8-60FC-4192-8995-F840F5A102AD_zpsnqqoczi4.jpg

I'm having a guy weld the corner pieces together that I got from without (he sent it to me in the 3 pieces) to see if I can get that to work. Since I need a new liner anyway, my pool guy says I can get a custom one made with one corner being a cut corner and the others rounded. I would really like to do the "rounded corner" deal, but I'm nervous about the angles - I have no way to measure them and just dont feel very comfortable trying with so little material. I've asked him to send me some more so I can tinker with it...

I also don't have any clips so I have no way to hiding the seam...all the clips broke when without tore his coping out. So now I'm trying to find some original clips as well. Do you guys think I can take a bit of whatever scrap I end up with and try to fabricate clips out of that?

Big thanx to the troublefreepool site for getting me this far!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.