What to do with my pump?

98xc600

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2007
Southern MN
Over the weekend my filter developed a crack. It's only 1.5 years old. :twisted: I've somewhat expected it would happen because every time the pump would start you could see the top of the filter flex about 1/4 of an inch. Then when I would turn on the solar heater it would flex another 1/8.The psi has always stayed the same 11psi no heater 20psi with the heater.
So with the info I read on here I had no problem picking out a new filter. I went with a Hayward S220T sand filter. It has a flow rating of 52gpm 80% of that would be 41.6gpm. At that rate I could turn my pools water over in about 6 hrs give or take.
Now the problem.
I have no info on the pump that's there now. All I know is that it's a Waterway 48 frame center discharge and that's it. How do I know if this pump was way to big for the filter and caused this to happen? Would this pump cause the same thing to happen with the new filter? Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

Can you read the label on the pump motor? What is the Horsepower (HP) and Service Factor (SF) of the pump? Any model number or other information?

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on that pump but maybe someone else knows of it.

Anyway, I wanted to point out that it is fairly typical for a filter to expand when the pump turns on. Mine does and I have an oversized filter on a small pump. So that alone does not indicate that your pump is too big. If it was matched set to begin with, then it was probably ok for that size filter although some manufactures tend to oversize the pump in those combo sets.

How old was the filter when it failed?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.