2 small leaks on pressure side of plumbing

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
I once used a dab of RTV silicone sealant to plug a minor suction side leak (union going into pump gasket)
and it has been free of air leaks ever since.

However, I now have 2 dripping areas on the pressure side.

1. at the threaded union coming out of my multiport valve. looks like previous owner had some silicone
on that connection before but it looks old and falling apart.

Will I be able to stop the leak by removing the old silicone and re-applying a bead of new?
Or would I just be better off hiring the local pool company to unthread the union and tape it up?
Is there something else I can use to stop the drip without unthreading the union?

2 the other drip I discovered after vacumming out all the old sand filter sand the previous owner
left on the floor/under the sand filter in the pump room. Seems to be coming from the drain plug. I guess just buy
a new drain plug and o ring set for that one? (the existing plug is mangled as if he used a vise grip to tighten it)

I would remove and replace the union after re-taping or doping the threads. If you dope, you can find NSF approved rector seal most places they sell PVC. I would probably try tape first if it was mine.

Just replace the seals on the plug unless the damage has compromised it's ability to seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.