240V pump switching

Mar 23, 2015
Plano, TX
I am not yet sure if my pumps are 120 or 240 volt, they can be wired for either. Currently there are two mechanical timers which I would like to replace with a single digital timer. I ordered an Intermatic ET1125C which has two outputs - it can either run as two independant SPST switches, or a single DPST switch. When I ordered it I had just assumed the pumps were 120V, but after notice that they can be configured either way I'm now wondering if they're 240. If they are 240, is it safe to use the timer to only switch one hot wire to each motor? There is a master switch next to the timer that cuts all power to everything, so it can still be safely shut off at the equipment. However, with the timer only switching one hot wire, there is still 120V potential at the motors.

240 volt switches should be double pole. You should get the correct timer for your voltage. If you're powering a booster pump, the timer needs to cut power to the booster when the power to the main pump is off.

Switching only one leg of a 240 volt circuit is allowed, though not recommended. It is fairly common to see for exactly the reason you are thinking about it, many of the digital timers only provide for switching one leg of the circuit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.